Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid System Disk Error Win95 Packard Bell Comp  (Read 4357 times)

Sheena

Invalid System Disk Error Win95 Packard Bell Comp
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
I have an old computer that I'm trying to fix.  It's coming up invalid system disk please replace disk and press any key on a Packard Bell computer with Windows 95 the comp was produced in 1997. I have tried resetting bios to default and downloading different types of bootdisk and dos disk from the net on a floppy and trying that approach and i haven't had any luck so far.  The computer did this once before a very long time ago and i don't remember how the problem was ever fixed since i havent use this computer in many years.  Is there any hope for this computer if you have any ideas please reply with them.
ps since the comp is so old i dont have but a couple of the orig disk that came with it
thanks a bunch
sheena

GX1_Man

Re: Invalid System Disk Error Win95 Packard Bell C
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »
www.bootdisk.com and download a Window98SE boot disk. If it gives you the error message the floppy is bad. If you can boot this way, you will need to format the drive and reinstall Windows, whatever kind you like, but probably 95. Hopefully you have the CD for this and the number.

If it is giving this error message with no floppy in, then either the hard drive is corrupted, bad, or the onboard IDE controller is shot.

What specific CD's do you have?

Sheena

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
I will try your sugguestions thanks a bunch.  I think it is a problem with the hard drive.  It comes up with this message when there isnt a floppy in the drive and windows doesnt start.  Do you know what kind of hard drive I can buy for this comp?  I don't have any usefull cds or floppy just some basics like printer driver install and update diskette for restoration.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:15:12 PM by Sheena »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
You can get the drive info(manufacturer and model number) from the exterior of the hard drive and go to the appropriate drive manufacturer's website to download free diagnostic software. You will know soon enough if it is good or not.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1122425778

Any replaccement IDE drive should be fine, but no need for a mega-gig drive. A used 10-20 gig drive should be cheap enough and provide enough space for some time.

Keep us posted.