Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems upgrading windows 98 to windows xp  (Read 4177 times)

jarithi

Problems upgrading windows 98 to windows xp
« on: February 02, 2006, 09:09:33 AM »
I am trying to upgrade my Compaq Presario 5360 OS from window 98 to windows xp. I added memory, so that I have prenty to work with. It istalls and locks up when installing devices. I have tried updating drivers and deleting the existing partisions and the same thing happens. I also tried installing windows xp on a seperate partition and the same thing happens. Could some one help please??

Motley

Re: Problems upgrading windows 98 to windows xp
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:20:25 AM »
You have to upgrade your computer.  You can add all the memory sticks you want but memory sticks are only temporary space not for storage.  You hard drive is your storage.  your hard drive only holds 64mb of ram you need at least a 128mb ram or hard drive to run Win. XP.  Also your proessor is weak. In other words if you want to run XP replace you hard drive with a newer one also your processor or just buy a new computer.

Puma_SPNKr

Re: Problems upgrading windows 98 to windows xp
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:29:06 PM »
I agree... Windows XP requires more power than what you currently have... It's in your best intrest to upgrade.  Even if you could manipulate it into working without the upgrades, you're system will lag terribly, just from running the OS itself.