Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BROWSERS  (Read 90632 times)

Jeffrey

Topic Starter

Beginner

BROWSERS
    « on: December 19, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
    INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSER

I have been advised not to use IE any more as it now not being supported by MS. I have unpinned it from my task bar so I don't use it by mistake. However, should I go further and disable/ remove it from my desktop? If 'yes', can it be disabled rather than completely removed?

EDGE BROWSER

I know how to check if it needs to be updated but does MS update this automatically in the background?

AVG BROWSER

I have been advised to 'dump' this as it is likely to cause me problems (not specified!). Is this correct? Not sure that I need it anyway as I have Chrome browser and Edge already so probably don't need a third! If the advice is to 'dump' AVG, does this mean simply 'not using' or should I disable /remove from my system?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BROWSERS
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
    Don't worry about IE. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. If you delete the icon from your desktop that's all you're doing - deleting an icon.

Yes, Edge will auto update with Windows Updates.

Don't know about AVG browser - not familiar with it. I use Firefox and Chrome.

The only advantage to uninstalling browsers is to save hd space. They don't do any harm just "sitting" there unused.

Mart44

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: BROWSERS
      « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:41 AM »
      Steam Games Desktop shortcuts rely on Internet Explorer being installed to work. I discovered this when I uninstalled IE. I didn't relate the problem to that at first but it was the case. The shortcuts worked again after reinstalling IE. Perhaps best to remove the IE shortcut only and leave it at that.