Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Post Was Deleted? Or?  (Read 6446 times)

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    My Post Was Deleted? Or?
    « on: February 11, 2021, 02:47:12 PM »
    I tried to handle this through a moderator via the PM system, but many hours later there is no answer and the "Who Is Online" window showed me that moderator had moved around the board before I decided to get to other Net work and now many hours later I still see no answer, so I ask out here in the open.

I always do screen grabs of my posts, so I can clearly show that the post done some hours ago was properly showing after I did it.  I then returned about an hour later and that post was gone.

I don't think it is asking too much to ask what might have happened?

Thank you.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My Post Was Deleted? Or?
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
    Since this is the FAQ section...and not the open Forum section it's likely the reason your Post was moved...

If you clik on your Profile and select show posts all your posts will be listed.

This will be removed / moved later today as well.

Thanx
    patio.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
      I am not referring to this thread.

I am referring to a thread in the Windows 10 section of this forum and that post of which I am asking about was not moved.  Well, if it was moved I should have received some indication it was moved, but it shouldn't have been moved as it was answering a question about the Windows 10 OS. So if it was moved, I would have to ask why.  If it was not moved and simply disappeared, well --- if it were my site I would start to worry if posts started simply vanishing.  I replaced it with another post 10 hours and one minute later.  You see, as I wrote in my PM to your colleague I keep a record of all posts I do.  A screen grab record and sometimes, when odd things happen, a screen grab and text record.

In addition, I was quite polite to ask via the PM system what might have been the cause --- I asked that of one of your colleagues --- and waited for an appropriate period of time (that 10 hours noted above) and --- well, still no answer, and it is many hours beyond the original 10 hours I have made note of twice now in this reply.

On another matter that seems to be very interesting; if we have questions about matters related to a technical question about the operation of this forum we are supposed to post that question under the heading of Other?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »
      I still don't understand why you are upset...if Posts land in the wrong spot they get moved to the appropiate spot regularly...it's part of maintaining a Forum.

BTW the Post that was in the FAQ section that i moved was not a reply or answer to another poster... it was a question.

Thanx for understanding.
      patio.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
        You will forgive me for my poor communication skills and now I will try to do better.

At 04:39:11 AM MST on February 11th I answered a forum member here:

Laptop stuck on “Get even more out of Windows” screen

About an hour later I came back to this site to check if that member might have seen the answer and wanted some further information, or any other related something-or-other.

My post was gone.

I poked around, to include checking my account list of posts and it was gone.

At 05:50:38 AM MST on February 11th I sent a message to a moderator asking what might be going on.

I returned to this site about 9 and a half hours later and there was no answer from your colleague and the post had not been returned, as if it had been replaced from a recycle bin.

At 02:40:37 PM MST on February 11th I did a second very similar post in that same thread, of course, and you can see that one is still there.

I hope I have improved my communications skills in this explanation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 09:56:12 AM »
        There was a lot of work being done on the forum over the past week (updated forum software, changed a number of settings, cleaned up a lot of "old" posts and members with 0 posts, etc). It's possible your post was deleted unintentionally. Sorry for any confusion.

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »
          And that was all I was thinking was needed --- just an explanation --- and also a quick notification of possible software trouble to any site management person was also on my mind because I know from experience that finding out about a weird glitch early is very good, so as few members as possible are inconvenienced by a weird glitch, like posts disappearing.

Well, that isn't completely true --- I have a problem with a website owner in Ireland that decided he wanted to sort of punish me and he put me on some weird list that then caused me some trouble with another site in the United States and as my IP address at this work station doesn't change I was sort of wondering if that could have caused a problem.  I did notice that you changed something related to the record of a post's IP address and so that was why I had some added concerns.

But I still know that quick information about glitches sent to management can be very helpful to management.

Anyway, now I understand what happened and that was all I was looking for.

Thank you.