Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old to New PC Transfer  (Read 5588 times)

JiDe27

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Old to New PC Transfer
    « on: March 06, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
    Hello everyone,

I have a question for you since I've decided to move to AMD and change all my PC.
    How can I transfer my W10 disk system with my files and programs (200Gb on classic Sata SSD) to a fresh new PC (new motherboard, new AMD processor, new M2 Nvme disk which is totally blank)? Should I install W10 on the new PC first and restore via Windows tool? Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks a lot

Gizmo

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Old to New PC Transfer
      « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 02:34:09 PM »
      The first issue you have is activating windows on the new PC. You can try entering the same product key you used before (see link below), but this may fail if you have an OEM license that isn't meant to migrate to new hardware. You can try the activate-by-phone option, though, as sometimes that will succeed when online activation fails.
      Link to very good Windows Key display utility:
      https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

As your hardware on your new PC is completely different than the old one, if you were going to do a clone of everything to different metal you would need a paid version of hard drive backup software to do it - I have tried it with a free version and it just doesn't work.

You will appreciate your new computer more with a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2, as it will be much more responsive and snappy without all the old drivers & clutter dragging it down, doing a clone you would end up with thousands of files that do not need to be there.

You can put your old drive in your new PC temporarily to transfer documents, photos, music etc, just back up everything you can first such as bookmarks / favourites and passwords on your old PC before you take the drive out.