Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Searching for the right power adapter  (Read 10880 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Searching for the right power adapter
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
Greetings.

Head scratcher. Got a sony laptop model SVT131A11L and cant seem to figure out which somy power adapter j need to buy. There is these but the last 2 numbers constantly change.

sony vgp-ac19v48

Im finding v49, V16, v19 V24 isk which one im to order. And no ive tried universal. The plug wont work.

Thanks.

Gizmo

Rookie

Re: Searching for the right power adapter
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 10:20:51 PM »
    There is some good info on this page about Replacement Sony Laptop Chargers, with a side on picture of the 3 most common sizes / types:

https://www.laptoppowercharger.co.uk/sony-laptop-power-adapters.htm

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 01:20:28 AM »
    If you get the 90 watt adapter it will cover all versions of the Sony laptop,  so this one  90-Watt, 19.5V, up to 4.61A
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Gizmo

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
      His problem isn't the wattage or voltage, its the size of the plug and will it fit

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
      His problem isn't the wattage or voltage, its the size of the plug and will it fit
      I think you'll find that Lisa_maree is right far more often than not. Rather than correct her, sit back and learn from her ;)

Gizmo

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
        @Allan that may be the case, but I wasn't correcting her. What she said was correct but comda had stated that the plug won't work (meaning it wouldn't fit, not that the universal one he tried was faulty), and suggesting a power adapter based just on the output is incorrect.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:22:52 PM »
        Thankyou Allan and I'm sorry Gizmo I was following on from  your post.

There is some good info on this page about Replacement Sony Laptop Chargers, with a side on picture of the 3 most common sizes / types:

Meaning the best option which will work is the https://www.laptoppowercharger.co.uk/sony-19-5v-4-7a-90w-6-5x4-4mm-laptop-ac-adapter.htm

Before buying a new charger comda perhaps try the laptop with the battery removed there is 2 slider clips to release the battery. Quite often if the battery is left to go flat the charger doesn't have enough capacity to charge the battery and start the laptop. Once the laptop starts you can reinsert the battery and check if it is charging.
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 06:47:57 AM »

Great website! Thank you for sharing! Seems i need to venture a bit to see whats the best option as i am in America and this is a UK based site.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 06:52:09 AM »

Its a bit of both. After visiting 3 computer stores none of them had the right plug on their "multi plug power adapters" but also, i cant seem to identify exactly what wattage, etc i need. So i was just going to get the 90W and hope that will adjust accordingly.

Thankyou Allan and I'm sorry Gizmo I was following on from  your post.

Meaning the best option which will work is the https://www.laptoppowercharger.co.uk/sony-19-5v-4-7a-90w-6-5x4-4mm-laptop-ac-adapter.htm

Before buying a new charger comda perhaps try the laptop with the battery removed there is 2 slider clips to release the battery. Quite often if the battery is left to go flat the charger doesn't have enough capacity to charge the battery and start the laptop. Once the laptop starts you can reinsert the battery and check if it is charging.

The laptop was brought to me without a charger, hence why i cant narrow down EXACTLY which one it requires. Otherwise i would have just ordered the exact model number of what i had. Appreciate this tip however, it has been known to work on my older macbook before :)

Looking at your second link i cant read the exact model number hahah! I tried finding a locally used charger to confirm that the plug fits but sadly that seller is horrible at messaging back and thus i cant ever set up a time to meet up. Ill measure the female plug to confirm thats the correct diameter.

Thank you.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »
        Wanted to post a update since i got extremely lucky. Someone locally to me posted an adapter for sale used, and i picked it up. Machine booted up. Adapter model is VGP-19V13.

Thank you everyone for the help. I will be making another post since there is now another issue. Thanks again

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
        Wanted to comment that i found a power adapter. Model VGP-19V13 and it seems to work great. Thank you for everyone's help.

Biloo

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »
          I know you have found your answer a long time ago but I want to add another good source for finding the right pin size for your laptop adaptor In case anyone refers back to this thread. Thank you