Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Office question  (Read 5714 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

MS Office question
    « on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
    Hello

My sister recently bought a new laptop which came with MS Office installed. She has not activated it because it is asking for a £50 (about $60) registration fee, so she has been out and bought a cheaper MS Office (and it's a later version). What is the procedure, please, to remove the MS Office that came with her laptop and then install the later version, or allow the version of Office that the laptop came with to just 'sit in the background' AND install the newer version?

Thanks!

Gizmo

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: MS Office question
      « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
      Some newer versions of office won't co-exist with an older version, but the installer should inform you of this and tell you that the older version will be uninstalled.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
        Thanks for your speedy reply! So, maybe, when I install the newer version it will uninstall the older version automatically?

Gizmo

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
          There is more information here about having two versions together:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/install-and-use-different-versions-of-office-on-the-same-pc-6ebb44ce-18a3-43f9-a187-b78c513788bf

And yes, if it needs to uninstall it, it will do it automatically.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
          Let's not complicate things. Just open Programs & Features, uninstall the version that came with the system, and install the new one.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 02:41:27 PM »
            Very many thanks, Allan - grateful.

Gizmo

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:05:51 PM »
              @Allan, seems to be getting a bit of a habit of yours jumping in on my posts, you are here to moderate not tell me perfectly good advice is wrong. I answered the question he asked - which was would the version of Office that the laptop came with just 'sit in the background'

And I answered the second question which was 'will it uninstall the older version automatically', which is yes, so they don't need to worry about removal

Also it may be that the version she bought has less features in it, or be Microsoft 365 which is cloud based, and some people prefer everything to be local. If you tell them just outright to uninstall it before trying the new one, they lose the possibility of going back to the original.