Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SSD too full and crashing, can I copy it to a bigger drive?  (Read 2477 times)

mizhepzibah

Topic Starter

Rookie

SSD too full and crashing, can I copy it to a bigger drive?
    « on: March 22, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
    My desktop has a hard drive running Vista, and a secondary SSD running 7 which has been used for several years.  The computer started crashing occasionally while using the 7 OS with an error message about new hardware.  Since no new hardware had been added, when restarted it seemed to run fine.  Now it seems that my luck with that has run out, and the restart doesn't even get the OS started.  Looking at the drive, I realized that it was way too full.  Can I copy everything from the old drive to a new, bigger drive and expect it to work?

Thank you for your time.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SSD too full and crashing, can I copy it to a bigger drive?
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »
    Certainly clone the SSD  to a larger drive. Will it boot into windows depends, but you have a better chance to get it booting on a larger drive then the present one. Most SSD vendors have cloning software to do this.
    This is instructions from Crucial https://www.crucial.com/support/ssd/ssd-install/ssd-install-steps/part-2-copy

You normally have to have at least one of the drives of the same make as the software to get it to work. You can run the software on Vista and attach the 2 SSD's to the computer and clone with auto resize enabled.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan