Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't update windows 10 to the latest version; Error: 0x80070057 - 0x2000D  (Read 6940 times)

BenKenobee

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I've been trying to update windows 10 unsuccessfully. I get the error message "0x80070057 - 0x2000D The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation"

I think the problem is being caused by my custom icons/theme. I removed the theme successfully but I have been unable to revert the icons back to default. I have tried running sfc /scannow but it fails at 12% in the verification phase. I also ran DISM and CHKDSK but neither seemed to do anything. I have deleted iconcache.db and removed a previously made registry edit to get rid of the shortcut arrows on the desktop icons, but nothing is working.

Perhaps something else is preventing windows from updating? Although I would still think it's strange that the icons aren't budging. Another thing: My computer still thinks that Avast is running as my main antivirus even though I'm using Kaspersky and have uninstalled Avast both with the uninstaller and the Avast removal tool. Perhaps it's related to the issue?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191126112123.000000-480
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
    Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro K2100M
    Hard Drives: C: 463 GB (20 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., s/n /CGY3W32/ /
    System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n CGY3W32

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I'd backup all your data to external storage and then wipe drive clean and do a clean install of latest build using Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creator Tool for latest image. Then bring your data back to a clean build. The system seems to have had items installed and removed and orphan entries remaining for Avast etc.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    You need to free up more space on your hard drive 20Gb free is not enough space for windows update to store a rollback to an earlier version.

If you refer here there is instructions on free up disk space https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

You need about 80GB free so you may also have to transfer off some music movies photo's to an external drive.
    Or get a larger drive like a 1 TB SSD drive

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    You need to free up more space on your hard drive 20Gb free is not enough space for windows update to store a rollback to an earlier version.

You need about 80GB free so you may also have to transfer off some music movies photo's to an external drive.
    Or get a larger drive like a 1 TB SSD drive
    If he needed more free space, he should be getting an error message telling him Windows does not have enough space to update.  He seems to have other issues that are preventing Windows from even attempting an update.

We don't know that he needs a 1TB drive.  He hasn't provided enough information to know what size drive he might need.  I recently encountered the problem of Windows failing to update due to lack of space.  It would attempt to update, would fail due to insufficient space, and then display a message stating so, and telling how much additional space it needed before updating could be executed. 

When this problem was happening, I only had a 120GB SSD in my computer and the drive was partitioned so that only half of it was allocated to drive C (where Windows was installed).  I tried resizing partitions to make C larger but Disk Management would not let me resize partitions. Since I had a unused 240GB SSD on hand (not yet used), I cloned the 120GB drive to the 240GB drive. After doing so, Windows updated to the latest version.