Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with a Pentium 1  (Read 2834 times)

LEAD-ACID

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Help with a Pentium 1
    « on: March 26, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »
    I've just put together a pentium 1 pc from parts. However, It doesn't start. The psu fan spins for a second and then stops. I unplugged the hdd and this time the psu fan kept spinning. I plugged the hdd in again and powered the machine up and the fan spun only for a second again with the hdd plugged in. I've tried reseating the ram and the cpu and sprayed ipa into the sockets. I've also tested the psu with a multimeter and all the voltages were fine except the -12v rail which was -10.26v. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. The sellers stated clearly that the components are functional.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help with a Pentium 1
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »
    Power supply should be within +/-5% for all voltages. That -10.26v is outside the +/-5% for 12V which should be ( 11.4V to 12.6V ). I'd try a different power supply.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:04:33 PM »
    I don't think that rail voltage is relevant to this problem. The -12V Rail was only used on certain ISA and PCI Expansion cards, I've seen it out of spec a lot, probably because it is so seldom actually utilized.

I'd be more inclined to suspect the HDD might have a short.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »
    Hi agree with BC about the hard drive. Also make sure the IDE cable is the correct way round red strip next to the power connector drive end and red strip closet pin 1 on the motherboard end. Also have you checked the CMOS battery with your meter that it is around 3.2 volts if less than 3 volts you will need a replacement. What motherboard is it and what graphics card are you using ? Perhaps if you are using an AGP graphics card try either a ISA or PCI card instead. Also visual check of the motherboard Capacitors is in order.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

LEAD-ACID

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:17:48 PM »
      I've already gotten it figured out. There wasn't enough load on the PSU and the ram sticks were in the wrong slots.