Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer printing additional pages  (Read 5858 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Printer printing additional pages
« on: April 16, 2021, 04:08:47 PM »
So we replaced 2 systems in the office with refurb computers with Windows 10 and connected them to a network connected HP Laserjet P2055dn printer and if you print a single copy of anything you get a single copy which is correct. However both systems if you print 2 pages you end up with 4 and if you print 6 pages you end up with 12 pages printed.

Trying to figure out why its doing this when it doesnt matter what program your printing from, but if you select a value greater than 1 for pages to print you end up with multiple unwanted copies as it prints selected page count x 2.

Looking in printer properties on both systems I dont see why it would do this. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to try to fix this. Could it be a driver issue even though I have the latest driver for this printer and Windows 10.

The prior decommissioned Windows 7 systems didnt have this problem with the same printer so it has to be something that these 2 new refurb systems have in a setting somewhere that is causing this. Connecting the Windows 7 back up to the network and printing it prints the proper pages and no extras.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
Re: Printer printing additional pages
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:37:54 PM »
Check printer properties that Duplexing is not enabled if it is, un tick it then try.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Printer printing additional pages
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
Thank You for your help... The issue was found. I should have verified that all locations printed from were doing the same thing as I took the end users input as all places printed from.

What I discovered is that the old Filemaker Pro 5.5 that they are running has a bug with Windows 10 64-bit to where a single page will print a single page and if you select to print 2 pages it acts like the page value multiplied by itself is printed and so 1 x 1 is 1 and 2 x 2 is 4 pages printed.

I opened notepad and wordpad and typed something and then selected to print 2 pages and only got 2 pages, so its a Filemaker Pro 5.5 bug with Windows 10 64-bit.

The work around fix for this is to tell the end users of the 2 systems to select to print 1 page at a time and not to select a value other than 1 page. For the fact that they normally print just 2 or 3 pages tops per document in that database that they are using they have no problem with selecting to print twice or 3 times to avoid wasting paper and toner.

The Filemaker Pro 5.5 they have been running on since 2002 with Windows XP and it seems as though I may have to suggest that they eventually move on to a newer database or newest version of Filemaker if able to import this really old application and bring forward to modern Windows 10 64-bit without a bug.