Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: digital distorsion in cdrom  (Read 3442 times)

tork65

digital distorsion in cdrom
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:52:03 AM »
A few weeks ago I started having digital distorsion from one of my cdroms when playing a cd.  I called Dell and after 2 hours on the phone they decided to send out a new drive.  When that didn't work they said it was the ribon cable.  When that didn't work they said oh well have to reinstall you OS.  I was wondering if there is anything else that i can do.  I did that just a few months ago and do not want to do it again.  The problem is so strange, my lower cdrom works, just not the one on top.  The distorsion is heard in every audio program.  The guys at Dell said they have never heard of anything like this.  Help would be appreciated if you can.

Valentin MacDonald

aRe: digital distorsion in cdrom
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »
 ::) I'd say they have followed an acceptable helpdesk route - check software config, then check different cd's, then check different cables (ones that you know work), then put it in a different ide slot/order, then use a drive you know works with problematic ones' hardware and if all fails, it is one of these unfortunate unknows whereby dodgy soldering on the mb or an untracable knick in a cable may be causing the problem. attack this sequentially, one at a time - eliminate all factors affecting the drive then tell Dell you reject the goods under the consumer credit act and trades description act (dont know your rights in the USA), and tell them to replace. End of rant. Good luck. VM.  :o

merlin_2

Re: digital distorsion in cdrom
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »
type dxdiag in the run box this will test your sound..it maybe a sound driver..damage or corupt..does this happen to all cd audio disks...what operating system is this ....

Tarvis Johnson

Re: digital distorsion in cdrom
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 07:57:38 PM »
I did the dxdiag.  It is not the speakers.  I've switched out the cable that hooks into the back.  The other cdrom works perfect in every program.  I think C4 will work.