Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What kind of backup storage device is best these days for backing up your PC?  (Read 4626 times)

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Do I need an external hard drive that plugs in via USB?  Or do zip drives have just as much storage space these days as an external hard drive?  I'm not sure what I need, but I need to get one to back up all my computer files.    Thanks

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    First question I would ask is how much data do you have to back up?

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

My computer says I have 1.71 TB Free of 1.81 TB.   But I also have another external hard drive with stuff on it which is full, and I might want to put some of that or all of that onto this new backup drive.  And that external hard drive is 500 GB. 

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      If the numbers you provided are correct, you have, at most, 100GB of data on your computer to backup.

As far as which device is best to use for backup, I'd say external hard drive.  At this time it seems like a 750GB would be more than enough for your backop needs unless you expect to add lots of data to your system in the coming months.

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

How could I have at most 100 GB on my computer if it says I have 1.71 TB Free of 1.81 TB.  That would mean I've used 10TB, and 100GB is not even 1 Tb according to google. 

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        (1.81TB - 1.71TB) is equal to .1TB which is 100GB.  Beside the fact that 1.81TB is far less than 10TB.  Did you provide the correct numbers?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        2 x 1TB USB hard drives would be an option. Keep one in a save place or at another persons place. Don't be tempted to use this drive for anything other than the occasional backup. Then have the other drive for regular backups, how often depends of how much content you are creating on the computer.

A program I like is Easues Todo backup.
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay I see, I was looking at the numbers wrong.  I only need 1 or 2 TB storage device.   

But I see that there are flash drives on Amazon that are 1 or 2 Tbs -  Is a external hard drive better than a flash drive for some reason?  Because if not I just assume go with a flash drive since they're smaller.