Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Understanding/Clarifying Internet/broadband service speeds  (Read 35985 times)

kellijaebaeli

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I hope a Internet/Network/Broadband expert can help me. I am shopping for a home in Northern US, and must make a decision based on certain criteria: one of the main ones is the Internet service. Nationwide, it's hard to find high numbers on speed--most seem to be 25Mbps, unless you find a highly populated area, that gets 100+. (I won't be moving to a highly populated area. I want to be around nature, so often that means bad coverage and services.)
    But...
    The confusion for me is that I get 300-500 Mbps where I am, but my service can be slow & unreliable. So how can 25Mbps elsewhere be considered fast enough for streaming and heavy use, as they say? That does NOT compute, logically, for me.
    Is it about WHERE you are, how many use it in that area, which company, which type? (DSL, Sat, Cable, fiber, etc).

Since I will be buying a forever home, I don't want to get stuck with substandard speed. I "cut the cable" and have three streaming services for my television (Sling, Netflix, Hulu) and I use video/YouTube, social media, do lots of online research, and do some uploading, too, as an Indie Author and Publisher. (My spouse also plays World of Warcraft, so she needs to be able to do online gaming).

Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Thanks for any insight.
    Jae