Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: To make a persistent program on a non-persistent Linux Live USB stick?  (Read 120358 times)

doer

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Wonder if any way to make the persistent/steady program on a non-persistent USB Live Linux stick? I mean just as an exception.
    I know there is a USB Live persistent ones where I could install and still had certain programs, as well as settings to my liking. And I got that one too. But would be possible to make this mentioned exception on the non-persistent USB Live Linux flash drive? I would gladly have done this.

BTW: cause this is a kind of pain in the neck to install every time apps (VPN, Skype) when I started my a non-persistent Linux Live USB.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      You can add a persistent partition to any Linux Live USB, if you have room on the USB stick for both the OS and the persistent partition. You can use the official instructions to partition the USB stick and configure the persistent partition.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

Note that to partition the USB you might need to boot from something other than that USB.

You could install GPartedLive on another USB, and boot from that. Then you can insert the LiveISO and partition it with GParted.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

Hope this helps
      « Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 10:25:36 AM by nil »
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

doer

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        Seems interesting. Thank you for this info. I appreciate that.