Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant access my other computer  (Read 3027 times)

recon

Cant access my other computer
« on: February 05, 2006, 08:29:39 PM »
i'm having some trouble accessing my other computer files im able to login to the internet threw comp A and B. but when i try to access the files from comp b from comp a it brings up a user and password enter box the username is HOME\\Guest and password is empty i tried all passwords i would use mostly 2
i did the create home network and it dont work

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Cant access my other computer
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:51:51 PM »
    recon.... Have you tried going into your host pc as the admin and reset or remove the user accounts ( not the admin ) and then once you have access again create new users ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

recon

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:56:10 PM »
    ill try that ill let u know the outcome.

recon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:10:07 AM »
    k well i got connected to the other computer but i had to create another user that has the same name as when i login into comp a is there a way i can change the way i login to the other computer besides Guest and the one i just created???

recon

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:18:08 AM »
    i fixed my own question *censored* im good

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:43:21 AM »
      Share it please, many here want to learn beside helping :)
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

recon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:58:28 AM »
      Okay,

In this tutorial I will show you how to connect to a network.

1. If you dont have a Router get one!!! lol, I'm using a LINKSYS router, you can get one at any kind of Corporate Electronic Store (Best Buy, Circuit City, COMPUSA etc...). you would also need some kind of Ethernet Cable a CAT5 works greaaat.

2. Hook up your Modem to your router, and take another ethernet cable to your main Computer I'm going to call that computer COMP A, and you also need to go from your Router To the other computer that you want to hook up the network too. Im going to call this computer COMP B.

3. When you have it all hooked as it says in your installation Manual, Go to COMP A and login if you are not already then go to> START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS and on the Left side there will be a link called Set-up a Home/Small Business Netowork. Go To Step 4

4. It should say WELCOME TO THE NETWORK SETUP WIZARD>Click Next> It goes to the Next Screen BEFORE YOU CONTINUE.....>click Next> If it brings up a screen were you have to select you Network restart the network and Make Sure you have you Eithernet cable Connected.

5. You have 3 selections to chose from since we are connecting Through A router we are going to chose the 2 option>THIS COMPUTER CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET THROUGH A RESIDENTIAL GATEWAT OR THROUGH ANOTHER COMPUTER ON MY NETWORK... Click it and then Click Next>Where It Says COMPUTER DESCRIPTION PUT ANYTHING YOU LIKE.>and then where it says Computer Name Put a name you would like to call your computer on this Network. After your done with all that Click Next>Now here is a Main part of the network where it says MSHOME you can change this but i would recommend to leave it alone for Newbies doing this. If your not a newbie put in a workgroup name you want to call your workgroup.>Click Next

6. If you want to turn on file and printer Sharing you can turn it on. and it will ask you to restart your computer please do so...

7. Repeat Steps 3-6 on COMP B, but make sure it has the same workgroup name you decided on COMP A if you left it as MSHOME don't worry about making sure it has the same workgroup as MSHOME is the default Workgroup
      _______________________________________ _________
      STILL CAN'T CONNECT

Here is the part it gets tricky and i mean there could be a lot of different reasons why you can connect to your Workgroup.

1st make sure that COMP A and COMP B have the same login name below is an example.
      _______________________________________ ________
      COMP A LOGIN Josh>COMP B LOGIN Josh. if it doesn't go into either computer the go to  START>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS>click on your username and Click CHANGE ACCOUNT NAME.
      _______________________________________ _________

after that see if you can connect to your other computer there will be a shortcut called MY NETWORK PLACES if that doesn't work try either of the steps below

1 possibility Will be that you get a error box saying Mshome is not accessible please see the adminstrator of this network or something like that.

if you get a Username and password box that looks like this

USERNAME - \\COMP A NAME\Guest
      PASSWORD - *BLANK*

you would have to go to what ever Computer COMP A is and then go to>START>RUN>type control userpasswords2 in the RUN box. it will bring up a screen telling you what your useraccounts are uncheck the box that says USERS MUST ENTER A USER NAME AND PASSWORD TO USE THIS COMP. if you dont want the people to access this computer though. If not then click on the box under Password for Adminstrator and click RESET PASSWORD make up a password as it doesn't ask you for the OLD PASSWORD, once you done that try to access COMP A or COMP B which everone u can connect too.
      if you still cant access it try NEXT STEP.

START>RUN>\\192.168.1.100 or \\COMP A/B Name
      you should be able to login now YAAAAAAAA :)  .

If you cant Repeat Steaps 3-6 and the information below STILL CANT CONNECT.

If you need more help Feel free to PM me at any of the information provided below

AIM - Krayzielunatic16
      Yahoo - romeo_9951417
      MSN - [email protected]
      E-Mail [email protected] RE: NETWORK SETUP

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
        « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »
        Welldone!  [smiley=thumbup.gif]
        Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!