Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internal hard drive not showing up  (Read 5470 times)

Meilin

Internal hard drive not showing up
« on: February 07, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »
I have just bought a new 200GB Western Digital hard drive. I already have an internal hard drive as my master so I am setting it to the slave but for some reason I cannot get the driver to work. I am running on Windows XP and it does install the new hardware when it is first connected. When I go into MY Computer the new drive does not show up. I then go into Device Manager and it tells me that the drive is Not Initilized. I have no way of formatting the drive is it is not showing up anywhere I can see to be able to do this.

Right now I am out of ideas. Both my father and I have tried various different ways. We have set both of them to Cable to see if that made any difference but alas it did not. If anyone can help me out her that would be great. I haven't got much hair left to pull out.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Internal hard drive not showing up
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 03:19:38 PM »
     Meilin .....Several things you could check ..
    1. check the manual for your new hard drive and see if it wants the jumpers set as slave or Cable select ..    Is this a IDE drive ? or something else ?

2. Go into the bios and make sure that the bios is set to detect the slave drive ?

3 ..... go to control panel / Administrative tools /Computer management / Disk management ....... then look and see if there is any referance to it there .

I cannot get the driver to work
    ...what do you mean by this ?

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:20:26 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Meilin

Re: Internal hard drive not showing up
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »
    Well it was the 3rd thing you suggested that finally made it work. Thanks dl65  :)