Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS NOT ACPI Compliant  (Read 17092 times)

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    BIOS NOT ACPI Compliant
    « on: July 16, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
    Hello folks my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section because i'm not quite sure if this is a software or hardware issue at hand. I recently went to install Windows XP on a hard drive I had laying around because I wanted to play a couple older games no longer eligible to run on Windows 10 because of no more support for DRM/Safe Disk. So I plug in the spare drive and go to boot off of my Windows XP disc, the initial setup starts but after a short while I receive the blue screen saying that my BIOS is not ACPI compliant. After searching around I read a few posts mentioning flashing BIOS to the latest version will do the trick. I successfully flashed BIOS and it did register the upgrade within BIOS but alas I still got the same BSOD. This is leading me to believe that either the MOBO or the processor wont support Windows XP installations? I just can't think of any other reason.

My specs:
    Gigabyte x299 Aorus Gaming 7 Motherboard
    BIOS - American Megatrends f9p, 11/19/2019 (Most recent update on Gigabyte's website
    Intel Core i9-7900x CPU @ 3.30 GHz, 3312 Mhz, 10 Cores
    BIOS Mode UEFI

Any help would be great

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BIOS NOT ACPI Compliant
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »
    From Google:

The bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. ... If you are unable to obtain an updated bios or the latest bios supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers.

I do not have any good ideas about what to do.  :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »
    Windows XP doesn't support SATA drives out of the box. I'm not even sure if new motherboards still have IDE Compatibility modes for their SATA Host adapters, but you'll want to toggle it to IDE. EWither that, or install SATA drivers- which, simply won't exist for XP with a newer motherboard. You get strange errors if you are using SATA Drives.

You could try removing some memory to see if it will install with less.

When XP Setup is starting you can try forcing the use of the Standard PC HAL using F7 (not F6) when it prompts "Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver"

however, I doubt even if you get it installed it will serve the purpose you want. Even if you do get it installed, you won't have any drivers, so it won't actually be useful for playing any older games.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 10:02:58 PM »
    Hi

You are correct about your Motherboard and CPU not supporting Windows XP . If you want to run XP you would be better looking around for a older machine with XP support.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan