Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drives Not Detected  (Read 6669 times)

Alex23425245

Hard Drives Not Detected
« on: August 12, 2004, 02:52:42 PM »
Ok, the problem is that my computer is not detecting my two hard drives. Everything was working fine, then yesterday when I restarted... poof... no more hard drives.

The jumper settings are correct, I tried removing the IDE cable and putting it back on, but still nothing. I even went into BIOS and selected Load Setup Defaults. My Primary IDE's in BIOS are on auto-detect, and everything seems like it should work, but they're just not being detected.

It can't be bad hard drives, because neither are being detected, and it just happened after a normal restart. Perhaps my IDE cable went kaput? Any help is greatly appreciated.

merlin_2

Re: Hard Drives Not Detected
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:02:28 PM »
borrow the ide cable from the cdrom drive and just connect one hard drive at one time...time to test..what is happening on the screen just blank....is this winxp..before you do the ide switch thing?

Alex23425245

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:38:19 PM »
This is the message that comes up during bootup:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot device and press a key

and yes, it's winXP

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »
take the jumpers of and re-boot...does it work? try safe mode f8 key ...also ..windows may have confused its self which hard drive do i boot from?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 03:44:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Alex2

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:45:04 PM »
I took the jumpers off both, and now it just sits at a blank screen after the BIOS message, RAM checking etc.

Alex2

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »
Well I tried using the CDROM IDE cable on each one, making sure their jumper was set to master/single, but they each still give me the same message as before... they each had a clean install of XP too, so I'm lost.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 04:01:24 PM »
what is your boot sequence in the bios ?and could this be a gateway pc >http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/151305110.shtml
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 04:02:35 PM by merlin_2 »

Alex2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 04:10:04 PM »
My boot sequense is FDD, HDD, CD. I don't think it's a Gateway, my uncle built it just from parts.

I've improved it a little... i think... now my master drive is detected in BIOS, but not my slave, but I still get the same message.

Also, how do I download and install that file that the gateway website says to use if I can't even get onto the computer?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »
try changing the boot sequence to boot from hdd and see if it will boot to windows ...the file in question can fit on a floppy if needed>http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19164&uid=52436392  just follow the instructions if its relevant to you!silly question have you asked your uncle?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 04:16:34 PM by merlin_2 »

Alex2

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 04:26:20 PM »
That file would be of no help, it's for Onxard MoBo's, I have ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. I changed the boot sequence so that HDD is first, but still no improvement.

Now I'm thinking that the HDD that's not being detected may be dead? I mean, I did something that probably was very bad for it. When I formatted and clean installed XP on both drives a few days ago, it wouldnt let me format my C: (the one that doesnt work now). So, I clean installed XP and deleted everything off of the drive, in hopes of it acting like a format (I even deleted the windows folder, everything). Did I kill it?

Also, there is something that just confuses me. I formatted my D: drive a few days ago, and clean installed XP onto it. Even though it was formatted and XP installed on it, it doesn't let me boot up using it as a master or single drive. Is there something missing that it needs to boot up?

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 04:52:26 PM »
ok the  hard drive your pc detects....re-format it ...go to www.bootdisks.com and download a win98 boot floppy format the drive ..load the boot floppy at the a:\>prompt format c:...then the  fdisk command and change the boot sequence to boot  from cdrom drive and re-install winxp disk... 0 ide drive....... when you have done this then install the slave drive you can always transfer files from it ...using the file transfer wizard>1 ide drive <slave>the problem has arose by have two winxps o/s on difference h/drives?windows got confused and the errors came up...time to start from scratch... ;)it seem to be a common problem>http://forums.devhardware.com/archive/t-12252
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 04:58:39 PM by merlin_2 »

Alex2

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 05:05:31 PM »
There's one problem though, I don't think my XP CD is bootable. I've tried changing boot sequence to start with CD ROM, but it doesn't go into XP setup. I haven't done anything yet, I'm just saying that in the past I haven't been able to use the XP CD to boot up.

So, I gather from what you're saying that I should format with a w98 disk, install w98, then upgrade to XP?

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 05:50:14 PM »
if you use the win98 boot disk  to format/fdisk your hard  drive if you have a full version of winxp the command is d:\>setup enter...if you have an upgrade version of winxp load the win98 install disk and build on it with the winxp upgrade disk..just wondering with this post did your hard-drives come from an old pc ?hth and good luck...more info on how to>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 05:55:16 PM by merlin_2 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 06:45:53 PM »
    Alex23425245...I came in late ....but for the life of me I cannot understand why you would want Win wp on both of your hard drives ......or did I misread what you were saying.
    Perhaps you could clarify.

dl65   ???
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 06:46:24 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.