Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to isolate a computer on a network  (Read 45344 times)

snakebite4767

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    How to isolate a computer on a network
    « on: September 08, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
    Hello.. i'm new here and could use some help. My ISP is AT&T. Connection is fiber, and the service is 1gb. The router is the AT&T router. I am using the LAN outputs to supply internet connection to 3 computers. One computer is my wife's, one is mine, and the third one is by the T.V. and is used only to store and down load movies. since this computer is sometimes used on some iffy sites, I use the VPN function on my McAfee program. But I would like to totally isolate this computer so that it can't see or communicate with my other two computers. I only have the one internet connection, the fiber that is feeding my router. Is there some way that I can isolate that one computer while still allowing it to use the same internet connection? tnx for any help

Snakebite4767

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to isolate a computer on a network
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 10:09:26 PM »
    Short answer; NO.
    It is very hard to do.
    The big answer is not easy.
    Start here:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm
     :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »
    Hi

If your router supports guest network, normally only on wireless then you could set the guest network with a network security key. The tv would need to use wireless.
    The Guest network is isolated from other computers only having a route for internet traffic.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

snakebite4767

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 07:31:52 AM »
      Thank you for your response. It looks like it's not an easy thing to do. I may just have to consider another approach to keeping outside eyes from sneaking into my computers. I've been using McAfee, but even with that I picked up something last month that I couldn't shake.... I  ended up with a complete rebuild and it was a PIA. There must be better security available, I'll look around.

sb