Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Crashing - "Impossible" to fix  (Read 22725 times)

xerxerus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    PC Crashing - "Impossible" to fix
    « on: October 08, 2021, 06:24:45 AM »
    Hello guys.

I have tried to solve this problem for the past 2 months with many different sources including discord communities, graphics vendor, distributors and even nvidia. But I still have absolutely no idea what causes the crashes or what to do to fix them.

TLDR: Computer crashing, tried everything I can think of - including swapping literally every single hardware component and clean installing windows

Current PC Build:

• CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
    • GPU: RTX 3080Ti
    • Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3000Mhz (4x8GB)
    • PSU: Corsair RM850X

The issue: PC sometimes randomly crashes while a screen recording software is open (doesn't have to be recording). There is a way to force this problem to happen, described below.

How to replicate:

1. Start OBS (or other screen recording software)
    2. Start DOOM Eternal
    3. PC will crash before getting to main menu

Additional details:

1. It crashes in other games aswell (only rarely, once even in chrome). Doom method has 100% accuracy.
    2. The crash will never happen without screen capture software
    3. If Doom Eternal is quickly set to Windowed mode when launching (alt+enter), the game works. When its set to fullscreen at any time, PC crashes instantly.

Now, what I tried:

1) RMA the CPU (5900x -> 5900x)

2) Upgrade Motherboard (MSI B450A-Pro -> MSI B550 Tomahawk)

3) New SSD & Windows reinstall

4) Nvidia DDU

5) Turn off XMP & Precision boost

6) Replace Power Supply (Seasonic Gold 750W -> Corsair RM850X)

7) new GPU Bios sent to me by vendor

8) Reseating the GPU

9) Taking out 2 ram

10) Buying new RAM (Crucial 3000Mhz -> Kingston 3200Mhz)

11) Replace GPU (RTX 3080Ti -> GTX 1050)

There are way more things I tried that I just don't remember now, so feel free to ask

-------------

The Windows EventViewer Memory dumps / Logs

Many times, I will just get "Dump file creation failed due to an error during dump creation", but sometimes I can get the actual dump files to create. they are below:

dxdiag - https://pastebin.com/raw/tivm41xP

WinDbg output of memory dump - https://pastebin.com/raw/FHJyzemA

--------

This is most of the info I can think of for now, if you need literally anything else please ask.

Does anyone please have any clue what is happening here?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC Crashing - "Impossible" to fix
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 12:50:09 AM »
    Hi

Can you do a speccy report and copy the url for the report here. Also what Bios version is the motherboard running it needs to be revision A7 for your CPU.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

xerxerus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
      Hi

Can you do a speccy report and copy the url for the report here. Also what Bios version is the motherboard running it needs to be revision A7 for your CPU.

Hello.

I would like to update.

The issue was Processor Ryzen 9 5900x. Even though it was the first thing I RMA'd, I received another bad one. After the first RMA I thought the problem must be somewhere else and replaced everything in my PC. While it was the cpu all along.

Bad unit twice in a row, yeah thats a no go. Not recommending Ryzen 9 to anyone, I will stick to my 5600x for now (which seems to work fine)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
      A bios update would likely have fixed it. That was one of the things the speccy report would have shown.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

xerxerus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
        A bios update would likely have fixed it. That was one of the things the speccy report would have shown.

Hello, i noticed a reply, just wanted to provide info that I did actually try 4 different bios versions (forgot to include that in my troubleshooting steps) and it didn't fix the problem, really only swapping the cpu did