Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems connecting to WiFi - built in and external  (Read 13762 times)

HughPhug

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Problems connecting to WiFi - built in and external
    « on: October 21, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
    Hi all, I did put this topic on another forum but the guy there just barked orders at me to run commands without any explanation of what they do, and I don't get down like that. So I'm hoping you guys can be a little more helpful!

I run around 4 laptops and 2 desktops in my house, plus phones. On all but 1 desktop and 1 laptop, I have zero issues.

I need to highlight that first because the problem is 100% not with my broadband or router (unless it's a combination of both)

Main issue, I had a W10 desktop build done for me last year from Punch Technology.

quick info

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics       3.70 GHz

Ram 16.0 GB (13.9 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

SSD ADATA SX8200PNP 500GB

HD 1TB ST1000DM010-2EP102

When I first got it the built in wifi worked fine

Realtek RTL8192EE - I recently updated drivers online but it had no effect

But after a couple of months it got slower and slower, now it is pretty much unuseable. If I do a speed test it runs around 12 MPS

So I copped a TP Link Wireless adapter, the AC1900, which runs at 110MPS - WHEN IT WORKS!!

Basically when I turn my PC on, the wireless adapter struggles to connect, or be recognised.

It dings as though I have just plugged in a USB port, then dings again like it has been removed.

Then does nothing. I take it out, put it in, take it out, put it in, disable it, enable, disable it, enable the Realtek, disable it, back to TP, connect, and then I'm in.

Once connected I stay connected and it runs perfectly. But how the **** do I get the bloody thing to start up first time?

Position of PC shouldn't be an issue, it sits where my old W7 sat, and the W7 pc has a BT adapter and is 6 ft away and runs perfectly every time.

To add to the mystery, I have a W10 HP laptop that actually belongs to my work, so I can do little with it without my IT support approving everything. But here's the thing, IT worked lovely for a while with it's Realtek built in wifi, and then IT also stopped.

So I got a TP-Link for that also, same one. Now when I turn it on, I get to the sign in screen within seconds, but it takes literally 15 minutes to get on to the desktop. The IT guy told me to turn off wifi each night and start without it, that didn't work.

So my assumption (likely wrong) is that these TP-Link adapters have driver issues in relation to W10. But how can that be? It's a massive brand, people use it all over the world, and when I search I don't find that this is a common problem and can find no resolutions.

HughPhug

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Problems connecting to WiFi - built in and external
      « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
      Some info

HughPhug

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
        I'll take that as a no then

ngc2392

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »
          well...sometimes wifi is not as perfect as it seems. so, first thing, you should check the settings for your card(s): https://support.cyberpowerpc.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014067574-Configure-the-Wireless-Adapter-Settings-for-Optimal-Performance
          second thing is to disable power saving on your cards (device manager-double click on network card-power options...)
          third thing I would check is settings on your modem/router. Do you have security options set to auto or manually to aes/wpa2? Try another channel. Try 20mhz or 40 mhz setting. You must know that speed of the wifi network is "dictated" by the slowest machine connected. Do you have a dual channel modem/router? Try older devices on n standard and newer on ac standard. Try updating firmware of the router if possible. Sometimes external usb wifi cards work better. So if anything else fails...stick with them.