Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Low FPS with Low GPU usage - New issue on an older setup  (Read 67662 times)

Ahmac

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Low FPS with Low GPU usage - New issue on an older setup
    « on: January 11, 2022, 08:26:32 PM »
    Hi everyone,

I've been having recent issues with low FPS on certain 3D games with low GPU usage and low FPS and have not been able to find a solid answer as to why. I was able to play games like Sea of Thieves and Shadow of War with 144 FPS 6 months ago, but now these games along with most other 3D games such as It Takes Two or A Way Out run at 3-38 FPS. Oddly enough, I can still play Overwatch and Fall Guys with normal 120-144 FPS without issue. Other online games like League of Legends also run fine. I haven't downloaded any new software aside from GPU and Windows updates. Here are my specs from user benchmark:

Computer Type: Desktop
    GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super, No overclock/undervolt, VRAM is 8192 MB
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x , No overclock/undervolt
    Motherboard: MBD: Asrock B450 Gaming K4 - BIOS V. 3.50
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, No overclock
    PSU: Corsair CX650 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
    Operating System & Version: Windows 10 64 bit clean install
    GPU Drivers: GeForce Game Ready Driver 497.29

Things I have tried:

Reinstalling graphics driver and resetting 3D settings on GeForce Experience/Control Panel

Reverting to old graphics driver version prior to the issues

Disabling all overlays

Uninstalling and reinstalling the games

Changing my MBD settings to have the XMP Profile 2.0 to increase Ram performance (done after the benchmark setting you see above; still no improvement)

Checking CPU/GPU usage via Task manager. GPU shows 1-4% usage during Shadow of War on ultra settings (what I used to play on). CPU is running around 40% during gameplay.

Things I have read about but am too afraid to try/have not yet done because I feel uncomfortable doing so at my skill level:

Updating BIOS

Updating other drivers on MOBO such as AMD Chipset/etc (I really just don't wanna mess with the MOBO stuff)

Overclocking (I don't see how this would fix anything because everything ran smoothly like 6 months ago)

I really have nowhere else to turn to, and will appreciate any advice I can get on this bizarre issue. I just want to be able to play games again because it is one of the few things that brings pure joy into my life. Thank you all in advance and please let me know if there's any way I can give more information to help you help me!

P.S. I'm currently a medical resident so I apologize if my responses aren't very timely as I'm usually pretty busy at work!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Low FPS with Low GPU usage - New issue on an older setup
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »
    If able to get an older copy of the video card driver, I'd roll back the driver to the video card to the version that you had last when it was running ok, as its a likely cause of the issue. Sometimes bug fixes etc can cause problems with games that ran better before the fixes.