Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Bluetooth Headphones  (Read 70492 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Troubleshooting Bluetooth Headphones
« on: February 22, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »
I find BT maddening. Sometimes previously-connected devices automatically reconnect, sometimes they need to be forcibly reconnected, sometimes they need to be dropped and re-added...

So anyway.

I bought a pair or earbuds to dedicate to my PC for Zoom calls. Paired fine, but:
* Sometimes you can't hear anything when "Headset" is selected but "Headphones" is
* Sometimes you can't hear anything when "Headphones" is selected but "Headset" is
* Sometimes what I'm hearing turns into a robotic mush
** Sometimes that fixes itself if I swap from "Headset" to "Headphones" or vice versa (But it is embarassing on calls to tell people to stop talking)
** And when I say "sometimes" I mean four or five times in a one hour call

Sometimes - whether I'm on a call, or just sitting here minding my business with the earphones in - they'll just drop and reconnect. (That creates a mess of issues with other software, but one thing at a time...)

I tried unpairing and repairing  several times. Then it got to the point where only ONE earpiece would pair - a few times it was just the right, now it's just the left.

So I threw away those ear buds and bought a more expensive pair.

Same f$%!#ing thing.

When I listen to music, my BT speaker never drops, never gives me trouble. But obviously I don't want that for Zoom.

My wired headphones never give me a lick of trouble - but do tether me to my PC.

Before I start deleting stuff willy-nilly in Device Manager, is there anything really to do? Or is that just a function of BT on a three-year-old PC?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Troubleshooting Bluetooth Headphones
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 04:04:52 PM »
Hi

On your  computer if you check in device manager what version of BT is it reporting. Also is the BT built in or a USB dongle?.

Another way is download Speccy from here https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Run the program , then select from the file menu publish snapshot, then copy the URL to this site for a check over.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 04:09:28 PM »
Built in:

I've spent hours trying to get this to work. So frustrating.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »
Have checked the Marvell AVASTAR bt radio and people are having problems with adapters which use that chipset.
I would buy a USB adapter and disable the internal adapter.

something like this Edimax BT-8500 Bluetooth 5.0 Nano USB-A Ultra-Small Adapter
or TP-Link UB500 Bluetooth 5.0 Nano USB Adapter

A google search in your area should show where theses are available.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 12:05:01 PM »
Ugh. I'll stick with wired headphones or my phone if an external BT is the only answer.

Thanks for the research! (Did you just google "marvell avastar adapter problems" or something simple like that?)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 12:20:57 PM »
Yes correct about the google search.
Not knowing the chipset of the BT adapter meant  the reply was very general. The speccy report would have given the chipset and other data which could have given a better diagnoses.
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »
I feel like I used Speccy once here years ago and was scolded - that the Piriform stuff dresses itself up nice but...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 01:56:52 PM »
I understand your concerns. There is so many possible causes for a computer problem it requires a lot of questions which the speccy report answers in 1 post, you are only posting a link to the report. Looking back at some of your other posts you copied parts of the report and in one case the whole report which floods the channel and is useless. The report is HTML which is easy to search, copy to google searches . For your issue I would be checking 10's of things in the speccy report to find a solution.

― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 02:54:06 PM »
Oaayyyyy... Don't know that I've ever "flooded" the channel with a Speccy report - just my sparkling wit...