Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD/Blu-Ray drive won't load disk after being burned.  (Read 69864 times)

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    DVD/Blu-Ray drive won't load disk after being burned.
    « on: April 09, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
    DVD/Blu-Ray drive won't load disk after being burned.

An internal DVD/Blu-Ray drive, that I've used for years, now won't load a DVD disk that I've just burned.

When I load a blank DVD or Blu-Ray disk, it 'spins up' like normal, and am successfully able to burn to it. But after closing the burner drawer, the DVD disk won't 'spin up', and when I click on the drive in Windows Explorer, a box pops up with 'Insert a disc Please insert a disc into Drive D: Help me choose a disc'.

I am able to load a prior Blu-Ray disc that I've burned, but not any of my burned DVD disks.

It seems that, somehow, the DVD functionality has been 'turned off'.

Anyone know what's causing this, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DVD/Blu-Ray drive won't load disk after being burned.
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 05:22:03 PM »
    A disc that was burned on that burner that is unable to be read. i would take to a different computer and see if the disc is healthy. If the disc is good then the blu-ray/dvd drive might be dirty inside and require a DVD cleaning disc run in it to dust off the optics.

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 12:13:05 PM »
      Thanks for the fast reply. I should have mentioned that in my original post...yes, I have a 'lens-cleaner' disk, and have used it multiple times.

To be clearer in what's going on:

Blank CD's and Blu-Ray disks will load fine, and be able to be burned and played.

Previously burned and commercial CD's and Blu-Rays disks are able to be played

Blank DVD's won't 'spin up', and previously burned and commercial DVD's won't play.

So, while my drive recognizes CD's and Blu-Ray disks, it no longer will recognize DVD disks.

It seems like a software 'switch' has been 'turned off' somehow. 

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 03:17:51 PM »
        I recently read in another tech forum to check the 'Use AutoPlay for all media and devices' checkbox(at the top of the attached screen print).
        I tried that, blank DVD's will still 'spin up', and burn. But those, and all prior burned and commercial DVD's won't load. Looks like the only difference was that whenever a disc was loaded, a box came up asking what software I wanted to use to play the files(which did not happen before). So, I unchecked it and went back to the way it was before.
        Attached is a screen print of Control Panel-Autoplay...is it possible that one(or more) of these selections has somehow got changed from what they used to be?
        Oh, forgot to mention that I use(and have been for many years) my 'Nero StartSmart Essentials'(there's no 'Help' button, so I can't see what version it is).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
        Blank DVD's won't 'spin up', and previously burned and commercial DVD's won't play.

Optical drives use a different laser (and in most cases lens) for reading/writing CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray; so in a Blu-ray drive, there is a 780nm Laser for CDs, a 650nm Laser for DVD, and a 405nm Laser for Blu-Ray.

If DVDs are not working, then the DVD laser diode has probably died- Basically, the DVD part of the drive has failed. Though you've mentioned several times that you can burn DVDs but not read them, which directly contradicts the section I quoted.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
          Latest news:

I did a hard reboot...

I am still able to burn and view CD's and Blu-Ray discs, either my own data or commercial discs.

Blank DVD's still 'spin up', and are able to be burned 'successfully', but will not load after burning.

All my prior burned DVD's which used to load, are now not loading.

Commercial DVD's will load and play OK.

I was able to burn and then load/play DVD's when using the 'multidisc' option(which I normally don't use).

I've been using blank DVD+R discs for many years without issues... could it be that my burner's settings have been changed to not accept the DVD+R disc using the non-multidisc option(but then why do DVD's burn successfully)?

Any suggestions as to what to try?

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »
            How do I stop this 'how do you want to use this disk' msg box from popping up everytime I burn a DVD? In the past, this box did NOT pop up, it just started recently, and ONLY for DVD's(there is no pop up msg box for CD's and Blu-Ray blank discs.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 08:51:33 PM »
            You can change that in autoplay options. It will be an option if you search "Autoplay" in the start menu.

Actually, you were in there earlier. You just need to set the default.

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 01:46:50 PM »
              Yes, I remember how to get to the 'autoplay' options, but I don't know what to change. I posted a screen cap in a prior post...which options do I need to pick? Thanks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 05:58:23 PM »
              Change "Blank DVD" from "Choose Default" to "Do nothing"