Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 to ME  (Read 4899 times)

Marlene2

Windows 98 to ME
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »
We have 3 pcs---original owners of all three.  One runs on 98, one on ME, and one on XP.  I tryed to upgrade the pc running windows 98 to ME edition.  It comes up with the following message:

This Version of Windows ME edition cannot be installed on your computer.  Please obtain the correct version from your computer manufacturer.  Message: SU0173

Why would I not be able to install ME on this computer?  I could see it if it were an illegal copy of ME, but this is our original cd that came with our computer.

The computer in question (98) is a Gateway, and our pc running ME is an HP.  Would that have anything to do with why the gateway will not except this version of windows?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Marlene

herbalist

Rookie
  • resident paranoid
    Re: Windows 98 to ME
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:27:25 PM »
    Did you buy the winME disk separately or is it one that came with the winME PC? Often the disks that come with a PC are restore disks and don't work on other units. The disk that came with my HP (98) is a restore disk that works only on that PC. That's probably what you have as well.
    Rick

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 08:56:23 PM »
       Marlene2...... Exactly how are you trying to install Win ME on the  win 98 machine ?
      Is the ME program one that came with a Dell machine by any chance ?

dl65
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Marlene2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
      Thanks for your responses.
      The ME disks  were  not bought seperately... they came with our pc when we bought it.  I thought because we are the original owner that I could take the ME disks and use them to upgrade our  pc that runs windows 98.  I didn't reformat hdd, just put the first cd into the cd rom drawer and began upgrading.  It started to copy some files, then came up with the message that I stated in my earlier post.

Windows 98 is running fine on our Dell.  Just thought I'd upgrade to ME.
      Thanks for your help
      Marlene

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »
      I agree with the others. The restore disks are keyed to that machine probably and to the manufacturer, at least. It just won't work. Sorry!  :'(

Marlene2

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »
      Thanks for all your help-----I think you're right!  Which is fine, the 98 is working great!

Thanks,
      Marlene

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:21:40 AM »
      And to be honest you're much better off with Win98.  Choose 98 or XP, but never ME...  Ugh.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:11:30 AM »
      And to be honest you're much better off with Win98.  Choose 98 or XP, but never ME...  Ugh.
      Agreed, and Win 98SE would be even better.
      « Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:11:54 AM by soybean »