Software > Computer programming

Programming Path

(1/2) > >>

Michael_9696:
Hi there guys, so I thought about starting to learn programming. However, I don't know from where to start. So, after some research I found that a lot of people saying that it's better to learn C programming first to be able to learn other programming language. Now the problem here is, do I need to learn the three C programming languages that are the C++, C, and C#  to be able to learn .NET or I can just learn one of the the C programming language. Moreover, after I thought about it for sometimes I found that I need to learn some programming language that will help me develop some software and also I am interested in scripts. So, I thought that if I need to be a software engineer or developer I need to study C, C++, C# and .NET and if I want to make scripts I need to study Python. So, do I need to learn all the C programming languages or I can just learn one of them?

Geek-9pm:
You asked "... study Python"
Yes. It is a good start.  :)

Michael_9696:

--- Quote from: Geek-9pm on May 07, 2022, 06:24:51 PM ---You asked "... study Python"
Yes. It is a good start.  :)

--- End quote ---

So, the Python is used for scripting. But I need to know if I want to make some UI desktop Applications. Do I need to know C# and C++ or I can learn C# only?

nil:
If you're going to write desktop apps for Windows, I would recommend starting with C, then moving to C++. C will give you a basic understanding of how to "talk to the machine," and help you understand the fundamentals of C++.

Then I would learn C++, because the majority of Windows software, including the operating system itself is written in C++. It is way more complex than C, providing you with all sorts of tools and programming paradigms that are not included in C. You don't need to learn them all, so try to focus on exactly what kind of applications you want to make. Look for applications that are open-source if possible, and read the source code. Try to determine what libraries and algorithms they use, and use that as a guide for what you should learn in C++.

For learning C, you can't go wrong with the original "K&R" book by Kernighan and Ritchie. This book is very old but still extremely relevant, and it will help you understand C from the ground up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

When you feel like you have a handle on C, get the newest edition of C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup. It's still considered the bible of C++:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C%2B%2B_Programming_Language

I hope this helps.

Michael_9696:

--- Quote from: nil on May 08, 2022, 08:16:20 AM ---If you're going to write desktop apps for Windows, I would recommend starting with C, then moving to C++. C will give you a basic understanding of how to "talk to the machine," and help you understand the fundamentals of C++.

Then I would learn C++, because the majority of Windows software, including the operating system itself is written in C++. It is way more complex than C, providing you with all sorts of tools and programming paradigms that are not included in C. You don't need to learn them all, so try to focus on exactly what kind of applications you want to make. Look for applications that are open-source if possible, and read the source code. Try to determine what libraries and algorithms they use, and use that as a guide for what you should learn in C++.

For learning C, you can't go wrong with the original "K&R" book by Kernighan and Ritchie. This book is very old but still extremely relevant, and it will help you understand C from the ground up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

When you feel like you have a handle on C, get the newest edition of C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup. It's still considered the bible of C++:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C%2B%2B_Programming_Language

I hope this helps.

--- End quote ---

So, can C# help me to create UI desktop apps? Also, which programming language I can use to create UI (User Interface) desktop applications?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version