Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Malicious .dat files  (Read 4424 times)

James Proctor

Malicious .dat files
« on: August 13, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »
My daughter download some shareware onto my computer. I now have a new folder on my hard drive (31MB) that is a duplicate of my C: drive. In this folder I have multiple copies of my C: drive (9x). When I do a virus scan it gives my risky files located in this folder. I tried to remove it, but it wont let me remove a file called gmgr0.dat which I did a file search and it is located in this new folder (9x). Any advice on how to remove it without wiping my whole drive and starting over? ???

2k dummy

Re: Malicious .dat files
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 08:05:59 PM »
That file is associated with a service on XP machines. Does the 9x mean you are running Windows 9x or is it name of the folder?

johnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 01:43:32 PM »
Restart in DOS mode, the fill will be unlocked.

James Proctor

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 11:29:18 AM »
For those that responded, Thanks.  #1 It doesn't run Windows 9x, or is it the name of the file. It's a New Folder in my C:/ Drive that is duplicated file for file (9x), Everytime I open the New foldrer I see the same files as the last one. They all are the exact duplicate of my C:/ drive.
#2 I'll try the DOS mode and see if that works.

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »
The associated service is BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Normally it would only be used on a server. Deleteing the files under DOS will only get them recreated. Type services.msc in the run box and disable the service. You should then be able to delete the folders.