Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need processor help  (Read 3585 times)

cristian

I need processor help
« on: August 13, 2004, 06:35:36 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I need help. We want to buy a new computer that we saw advertised for a good price, but we are not sure how good it is. Its a Compaq presario ... Intel Celeron processor 2.70GHz / 256MB DDR SDRAM memory / 40GB Ultra DMA hard drive. We are concerned it will be extremely slow because its not a pentium 4. We already have 2 computers, and we are wondering how this one will compare. The 2 computers that we already have, are Compaq presario 6000 pentium 4 2.00GHz / 512MB / 80GB hard drive & we also have (old model) HP pavilion Intel Celeron processor 466 MHz. Our concern is, how will a 2.70GHz processor perform ? We know it wont even be close to our pentium 4 2.00 GHz, but with our HP pavilion, sometimes we are not even open pages at certain sites. I guess I'm wondering, what's more important ? Having a higher pentium or higher GHz ?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Raptor

Re: I need processor help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 03:49:44 AM »
The amount of Giga/Megahertz is not the only factor which determines if a processor is fast or not.

2.7Ghz is faster than 2Ghz, however, the BUS speed may be lower, in which case the amount of RAM you have installed may perform more poorly.

I suggest you contact Intel or search their website for comparsiment charts, you cannot tell by just the amount of Gigahertz whether a processor is going to provide you less performance than another one or not.

256MB DDR SDRAM is not a lot of memory, and a 40GB HD is not a lot either. -  I suggest you find a deal that doubles both.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 03:51:40 AM »
Buying Tips on Computer Processors

Computer Processor Information (CPU)

These articles may be a tad outdated, but they will give you more insight on what to look for.

sanbrimal

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »
I am trying to find a chart to list the different processors
and what they have to offer compared to the other ones, I guess what I’m looking for
is the best processor for my needs.

Thanks

cristian

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 08:25:21 AM »
thanks for all the replies.

i guess i'm really wondering, how a computer that has 2.70GHz / 256MB DDR SDRAM memory / 40GB Ultra DMA hard drive, compares to a computer that has Intel Celeron processor 466 MHz / 8.4 gig hard drive / 64 mb memoery. the hard drive and memory are obviously far apart, but i was just wondering how decent the processor was (for everyday normal home stuff / nothing too complicated ...the only thing installed would be microsoft "office" software.

thanks again