Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can 32 bit software run on a 64 bit PC?  (Read 21366 times)

GSKWAuthor

Topic Starter

• GSKWAuthor
    • Gail S White's Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Can 32 bit software run on a 64 bit PC?
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:57:20 AM »
I have many expensive programs in addition to some little known programs installed on my 32-bit computer. I use all of them off and on.  I need to get a new computer.

The more expensive programs cost a fortune to upgrade to a 64-bit system IF they have even upgraded at all. Some of them only have an expensive annual subscription service.

Many of the smaller programs didn't upgrade or are out of business.

I can't afford all those upgrades and don't want to lose the ability to access the smaller programs.

Will these 32-bit programs run on a 64 bit OS system?
I don't pretend to be an expert. However, I learned computers in 1990 using DOS before the internet and tried to keep up with the hardware and software. I'm totally self-taught.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can 32 bit software run on a 64 bit PC?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
Yes

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 12:52:06 PM »
A 64 bit computer can run 64 & 32 bit software but not 16 bit software.

A 32 bit computer can run 32 & 16 bit software but not 64 bit.

Since you were previously running a 32 bit computer, it's possible that some of your existing software is 16 bit.  16 bit has been outdated for quite some time so you may not have any.  In that case you have nothing to worry about.  However, on the chance you do have some 16 bit software lurking on your existing system, it will not work on a 64 bit computer.

There are ways to make a 64 bit computer handle 16 bit software (such as using a Virtual Machine).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »
Just a quick note to clarify something. Most modern computers will allow some form of multi-booting startup. This means you could have a 64-bit operating system and a 32 operating the system on the same computer. When you start the computer you make a choice of which system you wish to use.
Let's assume that your new computer has a CPU that is made by either INTEL  or AMD. That type of CPU can run any older software.