Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does Anyone Remember Cables?  (Read 39407 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Does Anyone Remember Cables?
« on: October 01, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »
It's been so long since I've actually had to run cables, I forget what I'm doing.

I have the apartment to myself this weekend, so what could be better than "fixing" my network issues? So I'm doing a factory reset on all my devices and rebuilding from scratch.

I'm trying to reset my range extender following the instructions here. Basically, it says, plug a network cable into my PC and into the extender, then dial up the extender.

I have  the cable plugged in, and I'm getting link lights and traffic lights on both sides. But my computer can't "find" the extender. It (rightly) says there's no network connection... How do I force it to find the device?

Thanks.

(By the time someone answers I'll have succumbed to the 21st century and watched a YouTube video about how to get an app to do it for me, but I still want to figure out what I missed.)

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Arg

• Experience: Expert
    Re: Does Anyone Remember Cables?
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 05:00:30 AM »
    Hi Rjbinney,

Hope all is well.

The extender you will need to check your cmd by going to windows logo and typing in cmd or by clicking ctrl + r and typing cmd then "ipconfig" without quotations to see what gateway IP it's bringing up. 192.168.1.1 for eg.

Sometimes what you may need to do also is change your IPV4 adapter to match the IP settings of the actual extender device it's self.

You should be able to find the netconfig settings in the booklet or online with the model number to what you need to set your IPv4 network adapter to.

Network adapter is in network settings of your pc.

What the adapter is always set to is auto detection of IP/Subnet/Gateway as usually all routers have DHCP which automatically assigns and IP to a device.

In your case this may need to be manually on your pc set so the extender can talk to it.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers.

Arg,