Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network connectivity problem  (Read 37550 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Network connectivity problem
    « on: December 03, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
    Hello

I have a wireless desktop PC that connects to the Internet via a dongle. I now have a second desktop PC that I want to connect to the Internet using the same dongle, but I cannot see a list of available networks or my own network. I have installed the adapter driver from the company's web site and I have bought a new USB wireless adapter. I can see the new adapter in 'Bluetooth and other devices'.

When I go to Settings / Network & Internet and select Wi-Fi down the left-hand side, I can see that Wi-Fi is on, and Online Sign Up below it is also on. However, when I click on the link 'Show available networks' or the other link 'Manage known networks', neither link takes me anywhere when I was expecting to see a list of available connections including my own dongle. (The dongle is sitting on top of the PC tower.)

If I go to Networks & Internet / Network connections, I can see that my Wi-Fi icon is visible but not connected and when I right-click on it and select Connect/Disconnect nothing happens. Finally, when I click on 'Set up a network' in Network & Sharing Centre', no devices appear.

What am I doing wrong, please?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network connectivity problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:32 PM »
    What is the make/model of adapter, and what OS Version are you running?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 04:32:07 PM »
    I'd uninstall the driver for this, and then plug it in and go with the driver that Windows 10 associates with it. I believe its somehow configured as a bluetooth device when it isn't with incorrect driver. I had a TP-Link adapter that is a small USB type without the long antenna and when I connected it for first time with my Windows 10 desktop it automatically got the driver needed and worked. Other thing is that my adapter came with a small mini-CD in it with the driver, did yours also come with this? You can uninstall and reinstall starting with running that mini-CD driver if it came included with one and then when prompted then plug in the device so that wrong driver isnt associated with it.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 06:09:19 PM »
      Thanks, Dave. I will uninstall the driver and see what Windows comes up with. Yes, the adapter came with a CD with the driver. Because I have a problem with the D drive also, I had to download the driver from the TP-LINK site to a USB and installed it that way.

Thanks again for your help.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 07:41:34 AM »
        Hello Dave

I did as you suggested: I unplugged the USB wireless adapter and deleted the folder that held its driver and then, in Device Manager, I uninstalled the adapter before restarting the PC. I then plugged in the adapter and went to Device Manager. The adapter is there. When I selected Update Driver, Windows told me the latest driver was installed. So it looks as if Windows has installed its own driver.

Then I selected the Networks icon near the clock and, again, I can't see any available networks. So I chose Troubleshoot Problems and Windows told me I had not selected a network - obviously because none appeared. Then, from the Networks icon near the clock again, the other option was Network Sharing Centre. I am given the option to set up a connection. Is that what I should choose?