Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard disk memory vanishing fast on Windows 10 machine  (Read 23598 times)

bnorth

Topic Starter

Rookie

hard disk memory vanishing fast on Windows 10 machine
    « on: March 12, 2023, 09:34:19 AM »
    Dear List,

I have a 2.5 year old laptop running windows 10 with office 365.
    It only had a 128Gb hard disk but the amount of free Gb on the hard disk seems erratic and to be draining fast.
    Also trying to inspect the whole laptop with "This PC" and a file explorer seems to snarl up with a "working on it" message forever..
    But when I open disc manager I now have 2.95 Gn hard disk/ C:, it was 8GB this morning and 10 gb last night.
    But I've not been saving big files or indeed doing much with it - do I have some malware ?
    Here's the zinger !! yesterday while I was out its c: memory dropped to 333Mb causing much panic. I moved some stuff off C: (not much) and ran avast anti virus and rebooted and not sure what worked but suddently I had 10GB

its a mystery and a worry to me

many thanks for any advice

bnorth

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: hard disk memory vanishing fast on Windows 10 machine
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 10:06:26 AM »
      stop press .. down to 1.99 GB now according to the disk managment tool -  down from 2.95 Gb = - just in half an hour or so of browsing the web !

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: hard disk memory vanishing fast on Windows 10 machine
      « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 12:53:50 PM »
      I suggest you post in our malware forum.