Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cws_ns3  (Read 5253 times)

merlin_2

cws_ns3
« on: August 15, 2004, 02:45:25 PM »
what a piece of scumware this is its belongs to ENIGMASOFTWAREGROUP.COM 207.44.220.11  and a pain in the neck to get rid of...have spyweeper from webroot check your system for it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: cws_ns3
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 11:54:36 PM »
    merlin_2......Yes Cool Web Search + whatever is a pain .
    I had a go round with it several months ago.....finally used Hijackthis to generate a log and then reviewed the entries one at a time and finally got rid of it. It's not a real malicous pest just very annoying. Does that particular version change your homepage? I think that version is one that changes the file extension so it's really tough to clear out.

Cheers
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 11:58:19 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 04:22:36 AM »
    Are you still using IE, Dl65?

You should use Firefox, I barely have spyware problems. The occasional tracking cookies when I have to use IE.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:41:27 PM »
      Raptor....Yes ...I still use IE6......it rarely gives me any problem.....I did however find it necessary to remove MS virtual machine. I suspect that the browser hijacker took advantage of flaws in VM......but since then IE6 works just fine.....I should add that I run scans with Ad-Aware and Spybot on a regular basis.
      It still amazes me how many people are on -line without any anti-virus protection. When you suggest that their pc would be a lot safer with AV .....the favourite answer seems to be....oh if I dont know who's the Email is from I delete it........how lame is that.........

dl65  ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:08:24 PM »
      It is not a matter of running fine, actually.

Internet Explorer works very good here as well, but I prefer Firefox because it is much more user friendly and has much better security settings.

I suggest you give it a try.