Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't load win/98 - This is my 1st try using forum  (Read 4247 times)

morgan0922

Can't load win/98 - This is my 1st try using forum
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
I have a Toshia Portege 3489ct laptop running  Win/98.

I have spent the last week getting several of my more important files copied on diskettes using dos copy statements. Of course, I never thought I would need a system backup or backup device.

So here is a humble one searching the internet for answers and I found computer hope and now I'm here, hoping.

When booting normally, I get "While initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer". The device now changes at each rebot, but was the same device (V86MMGR) for 3 or 4 days. .

When booting in safe mode, I get "While initializing device VDMAD: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer".  

I have factory shipped Recovery CD, Companion diskette, and Boot diskette. I am afraid if I use any of these my user files will disappear. Correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this old retired mainframe programmer.

GX1_Man

Re: Can't load win/98 - This is my 1st try using f
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 04:13:47 PM »
If you have one of those innexpensive pen drives, you could bootthe machine with a Linux LIVE CD and copy off those files to that. In theend, you will need to reinstall your operating system with the equipment you have, WHen you do the reinstall, yes you WILL lose all the data on that machine.

www.knoppix.com

Burn the file as an ISO with nero or some similar program, then just reboot your machine with the DCD in there. It's real simple.