Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovering NTOSKRNL.exe...  (Read 2066 times)

escobar4life

Recovering NTOSKRNL.exe...
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:27:03 PM »
I while back I changed my desktop theme with a software. Then I decided to change the bootscreen. I used an ntoskrnl.exe and replaced it. I thought I kept the original in a different folder but I guess not. So I replaced it but the bootscreen never changed (I guess I did it wrong).

Anyways, I'm trying to install Service Pack 2 because I will be using some software (MS Visual C++, etc.) but it says that the original ntoskrnl file is missing and that I need to get it. Also, whenever I turn my computer on, it asks me which bootscreen to select. There are two in the list and apparently, they are the exact same.

So, I was wondering if anyone can help me. Is there any way I can get my original ntoskrnl file?
And can I use the system recovery disc to recover the ntoskrnl file? (I heard that if I use the system recovery discs that it will mess up my computer since there will be no ntoskrnl)

Thanks in advance. My AIM sn is: craneeagleshadow
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 02:27:42 PM by escobar4life »

Backdated

Re: Recovering NTOSKRNL.exe...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:34:42 PM »
The original should still be available in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

escobar4life

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
I just checked and it's not there.  :(

Should I just use the system recovery cd?

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »
Have you searched the system for any other instance of it?
Have you tried the System File Cheker?
If it wasn't altered too long ago, what about System Restore?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:25:18 PM by Backdated »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:53:44 PM »
4life:

If you don't know how to use the system file checker:

1. From the Windows desktop, click Start and click Run
2. Type SFC/ SCANNOW
3. The Windows File Protection message appears and shows the progress as it scans for missing or changed Windows files.  
4. If prompted to insert the Windows CD, do so and click OK to replace the missing or changed Windows files

Doc
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:21:27 PM by pcdoc4christ »

escobar4life

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
Yeah I used the system file checker. But it only shows a black screen with the process and then it dissapears. I was expecting a window to pop up and ask me for something. Wow, I don't know what to do. I think I'll just go ahead and use the system recovery cd. It might be risky but theres nothing else I can do. I feel like a real n00b.  :(

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
4life:

Sorry, my mistake.  

You have to type CMD in the Run dialog box.  In the CMD window, type SFC/ SCANNOW .

Doc
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 05:32:43 PM by pcdoc4christ »

escobar4life

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 05:35:57 PM »
I did it and the screen dissapears. It doesn't give me any time to type in "SFC/ SCANNOW". Well in a few hours I'm going to use the system restore cd.

Thanks to every who helped me.   :)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
Yeah, i caught the mistake and modified my last post.  Please read the above one more time.

Doc

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 09:57:50 PM »
A reinstall seems the best route for you. I hope you do regular backups of any important stuff.  ;)