Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard Videocard nonexistant?  (Read 7231 times)

Raptor

Onboard Videocard nonexistant?
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:00:49 AM »
I am currently using a computer that has been neglected for at least a year. Or two.

The problem is that whenever I move the mouse or type on the keyboard, the monitor starts flickering. I have tried reinstalling drivers for the Nvidia MX/MX 400 videocard (64MB) this made the flickering a little less for approximately a few days, but the problem decided it did not want to be rid of this easily.

I also tweaked the monitor settings, refresh rate, resolution, etc, this did not make a difference. I also checked for magnetic sources near the monitor, I believe two speakers have been relatively close to the monitor for a long time, however, I cannot tell if they are magnetically shielded. They cannot seem to be powered on.

(This is another issue, since there is no power cord leading from the speakers, they seem to be powered by the soundcard.)

I then noticed by reading the manual that there is supposedly an onboard videocard, however, I cannot find anything related to an onboard videocard in both the BIOS and Device Manager. When I tried booting with the monitor connected to the Onboard videocard (A S3 Savage I believe) it only gave me a blackscreen but booted normally (No errors).

I would like to test the onboard videocard, however, if I cannot enable or disable it, I would not know where to start.

I could remove the Nvidia MX/MX 400 videocard, but I cannot seem to open the case. (Only took a quick glance at it, really not my problem what goes on in there) so I think it would be best if I disable the onboard videocard to see if that is causing problems.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Also, the speakers donot seem to work. Apparantly, they are powered by the soundcard. However, since it is an onboard soundcard, does that mean they will never function? It could be that they stopped working due to being neglected for quite a while.

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Onboard Videocard nonexistant?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:37:39 AM »
    If there is an onboard video card as well as an "added" card you should have 2 vga ports at the back
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

mektek

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:40:50 AM »
      Which you do - sorry I shouldn't scan read so quick  :-[

mektek

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 08:59:40 AM »
        I can help a little on the speaker issue though - below is  a quote  from

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computershow/news/howtobuyspeakers.htm

Speakers are divided into passive and amplified speakers. As you might have guessed, passive speakers are not amplified while amplified speakers are amplified. In a passive speaker system, your sound card provides the amplification. Amplified speakers do not need to use the amplification of the sound card and therefore have the advantage of simple use. The sound is too loud or too low, simply turn it up with the volume button on the front of the speakers.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 04:15:11 AM »
        The speaker problem here is that they will not even be powered, I am guessing that it is due to the onboard soundcard that is not able to provide power to the speakers. It is an AC'97 Audio (5.1 I believe) whilst having connected are two very cheap (seemingly) Labtec speakers without additional powerplugs.

And yes, this computer does have two VGA ports on the back of the computer - however, I cannot find any reference to the Onboard videocard in either the BIOS or Device Manager.
        « Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 04:16:23 AM by Raptor »

mektek

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 04:45:36 AM »
          If these are "old" passive speakers they should also work from an additional Sound Card as this is connected to M'board and can draw the power for the speakers.

You could try them in another computer as it is possible the speakers are the problem.

mektek

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 04:56:20 AM »
            Is it possible someone updated the bios to one for a very similar board without onboard video and then had to add the additional video card.

You could try reloading the bios for this Mobo.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 11:17:01 AM »
            I only have to disable the onboard videocard to see if it is causing this videocard to cause the monitor to flicker whilst typing or looking at websites or other types of windows.

There is no additional soundcard installed, only an onboard.

Are onboard soundcards unable to provide power to 'passive' speakers?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 04:17:32 AM »
            Bump

mektek

Hopeful
              « Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 05:42:38 AM »
              passive speakers should run from an onboard or an additional sound card

- can you try the speakers on another computer to see if they work and try another set of speakers on the soundcard to see if that works

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »
              I could do that, but my computer is still not functioning properly. - I will give it a shot when I got everything working again.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 03:40:37 PM »
              just out of interest what motherboard is this....

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 03:18:01 AM »
              (I am no longer using that PC)

Shuttle -  M43N V3.1