Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to start up/get to safe mode, NTLDR missing  (Read 4082 times)

Helpless_person

Unable to start up/get to safe mode, NTLDR missing
« on: February 24, 2006, 07:20:33 AM »
Unable to start up my machine.

NTLDR is missing

Specs of my computer:

OS window xp
Intel Pentium 4
Desktop

I've searched and read many many articles and information related to this
problem, I've also asked and seeked help from many people with some computer
knowledge (techs maybe, not sure how much they know), I've got some advises from
them. I've tried resolving the issue by following all kinds of similar
instructions from those people, some were from forums, some were just found
online.

However, I got "stuck" at some point. I can't even get to safe mode where
Windows Advanced Option would normally shows when I tap F8. I tried copying the
3 files I needed (NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, BOOT.INI) from another XP machine.
Got those copied to a floppy disk,
screen displays "file cannot be copied onto itself" or " 0 file(s) copied..."
I even tried copying them to a CD, didn't work neither, same messages displayed.

People suggest me these ways:  1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore
which is simply a cmd prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good Configuration
Well, I'm "stuck" at the safe mode like I mentioned.  

I do not wish to formatt or lose any files any programs or anything I had before I encountered this problem,
I've not backed up any files yet.
I spent so much time trying to figure out what else I could do in order to help
resolving the problem. It's very bothering that I can't use my own computer like
I always do before this problem occurs.

Please help, I seriously need to get my pc working.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 07:58:39 AM by Helpless_person »

GX1_Man

Re: Unable to start up/get to safe mode, NTLDR mis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
I'm sure others will be along to advise the same things you have apparently tried without success. (That message about not bering able to copy a file to itself is a little worrisome. Did you try to do this with some sort of command prompt attempt?)

What if you could save your files? Are you then able to format the drive and reinstall Windows? You could always boot with a Linux Live CD (free) and then copy the files to a pen drive, across a network, etc.

www.knoppix.com for a file that you have to burn as an ISO and then boot your machine with. It writes nothing to your hard drive to run, but can access your data and save the day!

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »
The files should be on a bootable diskette and the hard drive must be accessible to that diskette.
The syntax for each file will be:
copy filename.ext c:

If you have an XP CD, boot to a repair console and type fixboot and then reboot after typing exit to quit the repair console.

Helpless_person

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 05:54:14 AM »
I'm sure others will be along to advise the same things you have apparently tried without success. (That message about not bering able to copy a file to itself is a little worrisome. Did you try to do this with some sort of command prompt attempt?)

What if you could save your files? Are you then able to format the drive and reinstall Windows? You could always boot with a Linux Live CD (free) and then copy the files to a pen drive, across a network, etc.

www.knoppix.com for a file that you have to burn as an ISO and then boot your machine with. It writes nothing to your hard drive to run, but can access your data and save the day!

I guess I'm gonna have to try doing a repair installation see if it'll turn out better.
If you mean doing the A:/ copy to C:/ cmd prompt, yes, I did try to do that.  I guess it's just not easy to have a file copied to the drive.  No idea why can't, if "bootable disk" means a formatted floppy, I think there isn't a problem with the disk because it's absolutely got nothing on it.  But I heard that using this bootable disk method usually has a low succeeding rate. So, I went out and bought an XP CD, hopefully the repair install will turn out as I'm expecting.  I've waited too long and got tired of this NTLDR thing!

Thanks you guys.

MASH

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 06:49:48 AM »
Unable to start up my machine.

[highlight]NTLDR is missing[/highlight]

Specs of my computer:

OS Windows XP  (Home or Professional?)
Intel Pentium 4
Desktop

I've searched and read many many articles and information related to this problem, I've also asked and sought help from many people with some computer knowledge (techs maybe, not sure how much they know), I've got some advice from them. I've tried resolving the issue by following all kinds of similar instructions from those people, some were from forums, some were just found online.

However, I got stuck at some point. I can't even get to safe mode where Windows Advanced Options would normally show when I tap F8. I tried copying the 3 files I needed (NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, BOOT.INI) from another XP machine. Got those copied to a floppy disk, screen displays "file cannot be copied onto itself" or " 0 file(s) copied..." I even tried copying them to a CD, didn't work either, same messages displayed.

People suggested these ways:  1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKGC or Last Known Good Configuration
Well, I'm stuck at the safe mode like I mentioned.  

I do not wish to format or lose any files any programs or anything I had before I encountered this problem. I've not backed up any files yet. I spent so much time trying to figure out what else I could do in order to help resolve the problem. It's very bothersome that I can't use my own computer like
I always do before this problem occurs.

Please help, I seriously need to get my PC working.

Thanks.

The three files on the floppy. Was the floppy formatted on an XP computer?

Was the choice made to make an MS-DOS startup diskette? It should NOT have, just a full format is all that is required then simply copy the three files to the floppy.

The boot.ini file must have the same configuration as your own boot.ini file. If it does not you have to edit it so that it suits your computer.

Have you tried loading the recovery console and typing - chkdsk /r - then putting the floppy with the three files into the A: drive and re-booting to see if it will find and start the main drive?

[ch1046]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:01:11 AM by MASH »

MASH

Unable to start up/get to safe mode, NTLDR missing
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
Other things you can do. Run a memory test. Run drive makers diagnostic diskette to see if your hard drive has a problem. Check inside of cabinet to make sure that everything is OK.

You must take proper anti-static measures before touching any components. Make sure you have disconnected all power cables.

[ch1046]