Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSPaint Chinese characters  (Read 10439 times)

mkelley

MSPaint Chinese characters
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:56:35 AM »
( ;D-CAUSE HAS BEEN DETERMINED NOW- 3/23/2006. )I cannot determine why, but my MSPaint program on my XP Microsoft computer displays (what I think are) chinese characters when I go into PRINT PREVIEW mode.   I noticed a similar anomaly with my Wordpad program from Microsoft.  I just cannot figure out how to correct this.  It was not a problem, under 95 or 98.  Are there known reasons why this happens?   I reviewed registry, unsure what to look for, but found no obvious reason for the change to the language fonts in this mode for either program.  Has anyone else encountered and corrected this situation?  Thanks,  mkelley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 03:52:01 AM by mkelley »

Backdated

Re: MSPaint Chinese characters
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:16:53 AM »
Can you attach a screenshot?
Have you installed any language packs?

mkelley

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:08:04 AM »
Wordpad and Paint, both exhibit characters during command options after choose PRINT PREVIEW command.  Also, in Save As, can see characters along Window frame.  I'm running XP Prof (Sp2), and note that various subscreens under FILE option, show the characters. I haven't seen the problem in other programs at all. I can send more shots if needed, but cannot seem to send multiples at once?.   I have seen some files for my HewlettPackard  scanner, suggesting I have OCR files for Chinese and Korean- Does any of this sound  familiar? I don't believe I've added Windows language packs- often, I try to skip them; not certain where to check however.
Thanks for your interest. Trying to attach graphics, via zip file.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:46:51 AM »
Not sure what's causing that; just probing in the dark here.

Go to Control Panel and open Regional and Language Options.  What does it show for country in the box under Standards and formats, and in the box under Location?  Then, select the Languages tab.  Do you see a check mark in the box for "Install files for East Asian Languages"?  Click on the Details button.  What do you see on the Settings and Advanced tabs?  Close that and go back to the main panel for Regional and Language Options and click on Advanced.  What to you see there for "Language for non-Unicode programs"?

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:03 AM »
Have you installed any icon/glyph management software?
If Soybeans suggestions don't uncover anything, carry out the procedures outlined in this post and report back.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:31:26 AM by Backdated »

mkelley

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:30:30 PM »
Thanks for feedback Soybean and Backdated- I checked, and see only US (English) for Keyboard settings, and Regional option settings.  Language for non-Unicode programs English US too..  I've put together a picture, hope it's complete enough to show what you are asking.   I'm unsure why I'm loading East Asian Languages- maybe part of my problem?  Any suggestions or questions about what's here. Honestly haven't looked at this setting beyond the Regional variables in past- not sure how it should normally look.  Thanks for the review.  (mkelley

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 04:36:52 PM »
Uncheck the items within the red boxes:

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 07:53:13 PM »
Well, nothing in the settings shown in the screen shots you provided account for the Chinese characters see with Wordpad, etc.   I've got "Install files for East Asian languages" checked but I have no foreign language characters appearing in any program.  The reason I have that box checked is that I did temporarily install Korean.  I had to check that box when I installed it.  Once I installed it, I could type Korean characters in Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc.  But, I did not have to uncheck that box to remove Korean.  Leaving that box checked simply means I could reinstall Korean a little faster than I could if I uncheck that box now and later want to reinstall Korean.  

Still, I suggest simply unchecking that box and see whether that eliminates the Chinese characters.  Please report back what you find.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 07:54:58 PM by soybean »

mkelley

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips; sorry about the lag in response, I've been working/away from computer - will try next try I get to sit down at my home computer and advise...   (mkelley 3/4 22:04

mkelley

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »
I tried unchecking "Install files for East Asian languages" - no luck, tried HP repairs for my scanner files, no luck, and tried upgrade mentioned by HP but no luck.  Can't make any headway on this.  I surrender- chinese commands for Paint and Wordpad, will reign.  I'll research, but for now see no remedy.  Thanks Soybean and Backdated for the help, but not working for my problem.  HP suggestion regarded use of Word 2003, but I don't have that, using Office 2000. Adobe 7.0.5 lang Update, I removed it when I saw it, but again no luck. Thanks for your suggestions!    Guess I'm beaten for now. Will post if run into a cure later, mkelley

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 03:33:06 PM »
Carry out the checks listed [highlight]here[/highlight] and report back.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 03:33:32 PM by Backdated »

mkelley

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 04:33:17 AM »
Backdated,
 your encouragement is appreciated but I can't afford to do all those things to my pc, to see what will happen. Until I find more time, I'll try to live with the asian characters in a few dialogue boxes, until I can see more specifically why it may be doing it. -it was something I thought maybe others had seen, Thanks to everyone for considering my problem.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
mkelley, Backdated's recommended regimen is a bit overwhelming.  I can understand your reluctance to go through that entire list of stuff in trying to resolve this.  Still, I would proceed with some of it.  If you aren't using any spyware removal tools, you should be.  

You could start with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.  I'll also suggest running CCleaner.  Read the info it gives you before complete it's various scans.  These are good tools; no guarantee that they'll solve your problem but, since they are good for general system maintenance, why not go ahead and install them.  

mkelley

Re: MSPaint Chinese characters-JAPANESE actually
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:34:55 AM »
Soybean, and Updated- suggested to me, "You could start with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware." I eventually took the advice - I've used Ad-aware in past, and in last week got copy of Spybot and tried it (I had a couple of problems trying Spybot). Neither resolved the problem, but as you said, 'couldn't hurt'.   I run McAfee Virusscan 10, continually updated and so I understoood the indication,  

to try filtering out things that seemed wrong, to see what could be targeted.  Good plan, and I resisted, then I began the journey.   Thank you both.    

As usual for me, after several sessions of Internet querying & repeated reviews of my Registry, I mean several   l-o-n-g   sessions...  
my son generously began looking through things with me --  as usual, he actually found the ANSWER.  IT WAS a language localization DLL file I somehow got on my PC, in the System32 folder.  It's a perfectly valid file, but [highlight]BEST FOR someone in JAPAN[/highlight].   Labeled from:  Microsoft, filename  mfc42loc.dll.  With this file renamed, mfc42loc.old, we fixed my problem. ---Closed applications, re-opened them then, & immediately- it was FIXED.  

[highlight]File: mfc42loc.dll -  MFC Language Specific Resources- Internal name: MFCINTL,  version: 6.00.8168.0, Language: Japanese.[/highlight] I must have brought this upon myself, somehow.  

Anyway, another relative had the file on a PC I worked upon last year, & I fixed the other PC with the info... However in ME version, I saw Underlines, as there was no Japanese font to plug into the labels on Paint & Wordpad Dialog Boxes, when the Japanese font was called out by the (?C++) programming.  My XP version had all kinds of other language fonts, & routinely, Japanese too so it plugged in some rather glyphical characters instead of lines.  Both of the PCs are English Language based MS Window Sys's, so English is Default, without a localization file to redirect Dialog Boxes in some programs, that were picking it up.  _we all know, I barely can explain this- I'm faking it __ but it sort of explains things in a fuzzy way.   *Fixing Millenium Edition, I had to go into Safe Mode, to rename the file, but finally got it done- it Worked!  

So that's the What of it.   The How / Tools & Reasoning, is what I get really interested in, but I won't bore anyone with all of that-I don't actually know All of That either.   But NOW, KNOWING the filename, you can see the problem noted, across the internet, by searching the web, for mfc42loc.dll...   isn't that easy?  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvc60/html/redistribvc6.asp   (march 2006)- has this info-
"There are several MFC DLLs supplied for various locales. For example, Mfc42deu.dll is the German version and contains version information that identifies it as German locale. If you install any locale DLL, you must ensure the locale for which the DLL is intended matches the locale of the installed Windows system. When you install the DLL, you must rename it to Mfc42loc.dll.
You should never install an Mfc42loc.dll on an English system. English resources are built into Mfc42.dll, and it is faster to load them from that DLL instead of searching (and loading) an MFC localization DLL first."                

and more, which suggests some other wrinkles could be on your sys due to file versions which get distributed by various programming.  Yes, I know, that would be the basis for many a bald head and bleary-eyed face... I bet I have some other issues just like this - hopefully I will recognize & deal with them appropriately.  

Thanks to all who reviewed, considered my post,  & especially those who made suggestions.  I have tried to repay the kindness with the feedback of this solution, that someone else Gave me. I figured it was a virus or some terrible thing that would eventually wreak havoc on my PC, but hadn't imagined, in a way, it was the old bad  .dll  file problem.   Thanks Computer Hope Forum!

mkelley
3/23/06
05:25

soybean

Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 09:56:02 AM »
Thanks for letting us know what you discovered to be the problem.