Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed Hotfixes but Windows won't recogonise  (Read 27480 times)

mistybear

Re: Installed Hotfixes but Windows won't recogonis
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 06:02:38 AM »
sorry for the delay, we've been having fun (not) Michael tried to transfer the belarc report to my computer, but MSN crashed.
Hi Bigpinkape.
Ok Duncan is this enough information.
And where do we go from here?  

mistybear

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:05:41 AM »
Yes I did Click on Auto Update

Backdated

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 06:24:28 AM »
Leave Belarc alone! Use the Windows Update system to check for updates and always choose the custom install. Then, only install those updates that are:
a/ Necessary for security
b/ Pertinent to your system

For exanple, most users don't need MP10 or DotNet so don't install it.

mistybear

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 06:39:06 AM »
Hi Backdated,
Gees Guy's slow down so many question,
I don't think W.M.P. 10 is installed, as I have not attempted to manully do it.
Anti-Virus No idea, that was going to be the next thing I was going to search for. Once all the Updates were done.
No I haven't run chkdsk/r, I'm not sure how to do it yet. We have been having problems with this computer and it's the only one I can talk to you on. Don't ask why because I don't know.
Backdate I don't know what to do about W.M.P. 10
I just want it to stop telling me to Reinstall KB911565

mistybear

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 06:40:20 AM »
Hi Backdated,
Gees Guy's slow down so many question,
I don't think W.M.P. 10 is installed, as I have not attempted to manully do it.
Anti-Virus No idea, that was going to be the next thing I was going to search for. Once all the Updates were done.
No I haven't run chkdsk/r, I'm not sure how to do it yet. We have been having problems with this computer and it's the only one I can talk to you on. Don't ask why because I don't know.
Backdate I don't know what to do about W.M.P. 10
I just want it to stop telling me to Reinstall KB911565

Backdated

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 06:52:04 AM »
Run the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs applet and ensure that you select "Show Hotfixes" at the top of the window. Remove any programs that you no longer need.
Now look at the list of hotfixes and remove what you can of those.
Now visit WindowUpdate and install only the necessary fixes.

It may be wise to carry out a couple of online virus scans before doing this:
Panda Active Scan.
Trend Housecall.

mistybear

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 07:08:27 AM »
OK Duncan, Where do I find the Add/Remove Programs.
Sorry that I'm so slow at this I almost said (stupid) close enough though
I'v been at this for 14 hours, running back and forth between the two.
Backdated, I wouldn't know which ones I need and which ones I don't. Big call for me.
Yes it has eTrust Anti-Virus, I don't know if it works. I clicked on it, but from there I don't know where to go.
Should I try to see if its working ( once you tell me how ), or should I run the others that both of you have suggested.  

Backdated

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 07:18:58 AM »
Start>Settings>Contol Panel>Add/Remove Programs.
Uninstall everything that you don't need.
Uninstall any hotfixes.
Run both of the the online virus scans I posted.
Visit Windows Update and install only the critical updates.

mistybear

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »
OK I'm running Panda now, then I'll do the next one.
Please tell me why I have to uninstall all those hotfixers, that took me all day to do.

Backdated

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 10:23:05 AM »
We have no real idea of what fixes have been installed. I can see DotNet so I assume that other unnecessary fixes have been applied. There is much confusion being generated here (See other thread) and I'm attempting to get back to some sort of basics so that we can start afresh.

My honest opinion is that the OP and her son need to embark on a very steep learning curve, starting with gaining an understanding of basic computer skills and security techniques and perhaps culminating in a fresh and considered reinstall of the system. This is in no way intended as a sleight on the OP or her son, but I have a feeling that we could be going around in circles for a very long time here.
A simple demonstration of this is that it seems the two machines are networked, but MSN is being used to transfer files! Another is the fact that the OP doesn't seem to know if the installed AV is even functional.

It is definitely not a good idea to remove the uninstallers for hotfixes unless you know exactly what you're doing and even then, only when it can be confirmed that the hotfixes have no adverse impact on the system.

Backdated

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »
It's far more important to have adequate firewall protection in place than AV before connecting to a network. Even if SP2 is installed, the Windows firewall is just about useless.

I find that 10G is ample for my needs and I run more software than most.

I'm not sure what you mean by "splitting off the video...." but I suspect that you may find the XP Powertoys TweakUI utility very useful.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:02:38 AM by Backdated »

Backdated

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 11:31:28 AM »
TweakUI:

GX1_Man

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
We have no real idea of what fixes have been installed. I can see DotNet so I assume that other unnecessary fixes have been applied. There is much confusion being generated here (See other thread) and I'm attempting to get back to some sort of basics so that we can start afresh.

My honest opinion is that the OP and her son need to embark on a very steep learning curve, starting with gaining an understanding of basic computer skills and security techniques and perhaps culminating in a fresh and considered reinstall of the system. This is in no way intended as a sleight on the OP or her son, but I have a feeling that we could be going around in circles for a very long time here.
A simple demonstration of this is that it seems the two machines are networked, but MSN is being used to transfer files! Another is the fact that the OP doesn't seem to know if the installed AV is even functional.

It is definitely not a good idea to remove the uninstallers for hotfixes unless you know exactly what you're doing and even then, only when it can be confirmed that the hotfixes have no adverse impact on the system.

Agreed. At least a clean  install would make the setup easier and perhaps avoid these other issues. Much has been done wrong with this installation.

mistybear

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
Morning all,
                 Some agreement on what I'm suppose to be doing would be helpful.
Don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative of all the help your giving but I'm getting even more confused as to what I should do and why.
Duncan I noticed your signed in, what do I now do with the scans that have been run. Trend has identified  the spyware and the adware and such but hasn't deleted many as they are attached to files.

Backdated

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2006, 06:48:19 PM »
Did you note down what these infections were?
Download and unzip X-Cleaner to your desktop.
Double click it, wait until it loads fully and hit the "Start Cleaning" button. Don't touch any of the settings, just let it do it's own thing and allow it to kill everything that it finds.