Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Templates in Outlook (Add Margins)  (Read 11324 times)

4jacks

Help with Templates in Outlook (Add Margins)
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:44:44 AM »
Hello,

I have a question about the Stationary or templates in Microsoft Outlook.

I would like to use the template in the picture.

Tool -> Options -> Mail Format -> Stationary Picker -> Glacier

The Problem when choosing that stationary is that it automatically adds an extra line after each time you hit enter…. So that the signature has line breaks between each line!

To try and counter this problem I created a new Stationary with a blank Document and choose the Background for Glacier.  This worked for getting rid of the Extra Line break after each time you hit enter.  But Now every new email starts with no left margin.  The text starts at zero on the ruler rather than .5 where it should start to avoid typing over the darker color in the Glacier Background.

So, I don’t know how to fix this, I’m open to all ideas.  I don’t see a place to add a margin to the stationary.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

Patrick
[email protected]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Help with Templates in Outlook (Add Margins)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Have you tried just dragging the Left Indent bar on the ruler to the right?  That should do it.

4jacks

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
That will work for a single email, but I have to do that Everytime.

And Even If I do that, if a Person replies to my email, their text goes back to not having a Margin.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:42 AM »
Well, I can't relate to your preception of this as a problem.  I'm sure the template was designed on the premise that the typing to the far left would be on top of the darker background.  Seems to me it's still quite readable.  

I really don't know of any other solution right now.

4jacks

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »
Well, I can't relate to your preception of this as a problem.  I'm sure the template was designed on the premise that the typing to the far left would be on top of the darker background.  Seems to me it's still quite readable.  

I really don't know of any other solution right now.

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Under the factory template "Glacier" the emails are set up with a Margin so that the text does not overlap the darker stripes.  But the factory template also has the stupid double spacing.  I created the "Glacier 2" template to get rid of the double spacing, but I don't know how to add the margin.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »
Hmmm, I'm unable to duplicate the behavior you describe for the default/factory template; mine does not double space when I hit Enter.

I'm using Outlook 2003.  I just added that template after reading your post.  When I did so, my system asked me to insert my FrontPage 2000 CD.  So, perhaps my system is not setup the same way as yours.  To insert the Glacier background, I actually insert a Theme, not a Background.  Both are on the Format menu.  

I have no idea why my system installed this Theme from my FrontPage 2000 CD instead of asking for the Office 2003 CD.  But, my Glacier Theme looks identical to yours.

I guess this really doesn't help you.  Hope someone else has a suggestion.

4jacks

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:36:40 AM »
Hmm... I'm on Outlook 2003 also ... I think that is the latest, New computer at the office.

I described the process I did to get to "Stationary" in my first post.  You don't create a new message first.

If I create a new message and select theme, I don't have Glacier listed as an option.

This isn't really a problem, there are a couple of those themes I'd rather have.

But I don't see any options to get those themes to apply for Every New message and not just a single message.

Is that possible?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
Go to Tools, Options, Mail Format, and select the stationery you want under Stationery and Fonts, in the box labeled "Use this stationery by default:".

4jacks

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 11:07:44 AM »
I get a completely seperate list for Themes and Stationary...

It sounds like you get one list for Themes and Stationary..

The only stationary in that list that I like is Glacier, and that is how I came to my first post.

Is there a way to get my themes into my stationary list.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:28:05 AM »
No, I have many more themes than stationery; over 80 themes, about 24 stationeries.  I don't know of way to get themes added to your choice of stationery.  If I learn of a way to do that, I'll let you know.  I'd also like to know.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:33:39 AM »
4jacks, I have an idea.  Send me a private message by clicking on the PM button here in the forum.  I'll email you the file to add Glacier to your stationery.  You simply need to copy it into the folder where your Stationery is stored.  On my system, I found them at F:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery.  My OS is installed on F:\; change that as needed for your system.  Let me know if interested.

Also, here's a reference with some info on creating new stationery: http://faculty.eicc.edu/golson/outlook/#stationery.  This came from a Google search.

4jacks

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »
Sent you a PM!

I currently have Glacier in my Stationary, just not my Themes..

I'll try the file though, maybe your Glacier, doesn't have the stupid double spaces.

Thanks.

4jacks

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »
stinks, I don't have permission to save in that folder :-?

It's already in there though, same files, so I'm not sure if it will get rid of the double spacing.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »
I believe you could copy my files into some other folder and then tell Outlook where the files are.  If you open Stationery Picker (from Tools, Options, Mail Format), click on New, select "Use this file as a template:" and then Browse to the location of the file, that should work.  I don't think stationery has to be in the standard folder that holds the usual stationery.  You might want to change the name to Glacier2 or such.

Apparently, you don't have administrative rights on that computer.  Is that right?  If so, perhaps it won't let you browse to a different folder as described above.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:19:45 AM by soybean »