Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 4397 times)

honda1

laptop
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »
hi again guys just a small question .
ive just bought a second hand dell latitude laptop and it is running on windows 2000 .i was wondering if i could format it and install xp pro ?if i did this would i need any drivers for the dell or could i just format it like a normal pc ?honda1.

Backdated

Re: laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:02:46 PM »
You could pop the XP CD in the drive, let it autorun and use the last option on the menu - Check System Compatibility.

However, it does lie a little sometimes! ;D
What processor, memory, graphics adapter and hard drive is installed?

backtheFup

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 03:47:57 PM »
   When you say 2nd hand did this laptop have Windows 98 on it when originally purchased and someone already reloaded it with Windows 2000?  haha  If it originally came with Windows 2000 then it should say XP compatible on it.  Most times with dell Windows 2000 cost extra.  The laptop could be from the Windows ME days and 2000 was put on it instead.

What you do is go on Dells website and put in the service tag number.  Then bring up the driver pages for that perticular laptop.  Download any XP drivers online there for that service tag number.  Burn them on a CD.  If there aren't any XP driver for that service tag number then you know to beware.  That should help.  I'm not sure the exact link but go to the Support section.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
What model, what processor, how big is the hard drive, and how much RAM?

You are going to drop >$100 for a copy orf XP? What will that do beyond  what is on there now?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:42:44 PM by GX1_Man »