Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 files erased  (Read 4264 times)

tautog

Windows 98 files erased
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:34:07 AM »
After having some virus problems, I installed some new anti-virus programs.  Atfer running on of them and  following the recommendations for repairs, I lost several of my windows 98 files, including the start-up sequence.    Would the scanreg/restore trick work to get my files back, or do I have to re-install windows?  I think otherwise the computer is fine because only 62 files were quarrantined or deleted.  Thanks in advance.

James2

Re: Windows 98 files erased
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 02:38:22 PM »
If they are in quarrantine can't you restore them from there. I used to have Nortons & it had that option.
 Also, if you run more than one anti-virus they tend to bump heads somewhere. Less ya meant anti-maleware programs in general. But usually one of each type will do fine.

Backdated

Re: Windows 98 files erased
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »
Even if you could restore these files, you would probably be restoring infected copies and putting yourself right back where you started.
Windows doesn't use a "startup sequence" - That died with AmigaDOS!
Is this Win98 or Win98SE? Do you have a full installation CD? What files are missing? What errors are generated?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:47:45 PM by Backdated »