Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem 2 - DOS Prompt / Crashing - 98SE  (Read 4543 times)

Apollyon

Problem 2 - DOS Prompt / Crashing - 98SE
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:34:50 AM »
This second problem is a bit more awkward to explain. Again I'm on 98SE, not through choice.

Over the past few months I've come across problems when installing or running some programs. Basically the whole machine freezes but with a twist. The monitor image goes wavy, almost like a slowed down yet constant degauss.

It hasn't proved as too much of a problem as most programs I use are free, so I just find another one which doesn't cause the problem but recently I've noticed that sometimes when the screen freezes a DOS prompt either half appears or appears blank on the screen.

Again I asked my friend, the linux user, and he thought it might have something to do with settings on the DOS prompt in that it's allocating all memory to the prompt and causing a crash. When an installation or program needs to use it it crashes.

This one seems to puzzle most I've asked.

I know this machines on the way out but I can't afford another one at the moment. I'd upgrade OS but this machine would either run it sluggish or not at all.

Thanks

Dave

GX1_Man

Re: Problem 2 - DOS Prompt / Crashing - 98SE
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »
It hasn't proved as too much of a problem as most programs I use are free, so I just find another one which doesn't cause the problem but recently I've noticed that sometimes when the screen freezes a DOS prompt either half appears or appears blank on the screen.

What programs are these? Are they DOS programs? Have you tried adjusting the settings for the program in WIndows? If they are DOS programs do they run in full screen DOSbox through WIndows? What if you sut down and restart in DOS mode?

If Windows programs, again which ones? Are they made for Win98? Some specifics would be helpful.

Again I asked my friend, the linux user, and he thought it might have something to do with settings on the DOS prompt in that it's allocating all memory to the prompt and causing a crash. When an installation or program needs to use it it crashes.

Again, you can adjust some settings for individual programs in regard to memory allocation, esp. DOS programs.

I know this machines on the way out but I can't afford another one at the moment. I'd upgrade OS but this machine would either run it sluggish or not at all.

Nothing wrong with old machines. I've got a fine tuned Windows 98 box with 128 RAM which does most things as fast as some P4's I've seen with XP. (These are basic tasks, not video editing, etc.) plus you don't have to put up with XP.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:02:02 AM by GX1_Man »

Apollyon

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
What programs are these? Are they DOS programs? Have you tried adjusting the settings for the program in WIndows? If they are DOS programs do they run in full screen DOSbox through WIndows? What if you sut down and restart in DOS mode?

If Windows programs, again which ones? Are they made for Win98? Some specifics would be helpful.

They're windows programs. The latest one that did it was Nero 6. They're latest programs so I'm guessing they're not made specifically for 98 but they're compatible or I wouldnt be trying to install them. Mostly the error occurs during installation.  

I've tried opening the DOS prompt on its own to the same effect.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:06:39 AM by Apollyon »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:19:18 AM »
How long since you reinstalled Windows? Are there other problems as well, besides the printer?

Apollyon

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »
Reinstalling windows doesn't do anything. Tried it a few times but it doesnt rid the problem. I had considered at one point about the level of formatting I'm doing. I usually just do a standard format. One thought of mine is that its a virus lurking in the realms of my hard drive. With doing standard format it wouldnt be scanned by the anti-virus because it wouldnt appear on the FAT table?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
A good format and fdisk/mbr should make it clean as a whistle. I would not have virus anywhere near the top of my list after doing that.

Apollyon

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:03:56 PM »
Seems like the only option left!