Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Crashing like Crazy  (Read 3135 times)

needcrashhelppleas

Crashing like Crazy
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:18:40 PM »
Ok so heres the deal :

My computer has been doing this for quite some time so now im looking for some help. I have reformatted my computer and it hasn't gone away. Randomly when im doing anything from photoshop, to Americas Army, my computer will restart. It makes the same noise as if you were to hit the reset button on the case. It does the exact same thing if as if i had hit the button. It restarts and comes up with a error http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=47bcdb58-1276-481e-9529-5a900d7b3dc7&SID=134
Now i have had diagnostic tests run and it seems to be healthy. I have no idea why it crashes and it seems to run a little smoother and crash less freqently when i run my computer in Selective Startup. Please help me.

GX1_Man

Re: Crashing like Crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:24:27 PM »
What make and model? Desktpp or laptop? What are the components and operating system? Other issues with it?

Have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133458168

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 11:36:54 PM »
Ok its a fry's desktop FM7350. i will install SP2 since i just reformatted and see what drivers i need to update. is there a utility where it can replace my drivers all at once?

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »
UPP This is becoming annoying errr.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »
Is there a utility where it can replace my drivers all at once?

No. You have to do it the old fashioned way - one at a time.

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »
ok
well i have updated pretty much all of my important drivers such as video card and such. Now sometimes my  computer shuts down and my monitor shows XGA > Resolution. What does this mean?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:51:42 PM »
This could be caused by a memory or processor fault.  I'd suspect the memory.  If you have two sticks of memory, can you try removing one and running like that?  Do you have any other memory you can try in its place?

As for the message on the monitor, this is probably caused by the monitor losing sync (the signal from your PC) and scrabbling around trying to work out what resolution it's supposed to be displaying.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:57:08 PM »
Ok, I ran memory diagnostic and it came out with healthy memory results. I currently have one stick of 512 DDR and it is compatible because it came with my computer. My computer is running at 30 degrees celcius so i don't think it is overheating and cleaned most of the dust off. My only guess is a motherboard problem, in that case i would buy a completely new system. As for the crashes, its still doing it, but like i said, it crashes more frequently the more programs im running or if im running a game. The only way i can run a game without it crashing when the game loads is by killing useless tasks in the Task Manager.
I have done tests on how much power my computer is consuming and my powersuply exceeds what my computer needs so it is most likley not that.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »
I don't suppose you have a spare processor you can test with?

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »
unfortunately i do not. Is there a program that i can test my processor? Also is there a possibilty that there could be a problem caused by a magnetic football schedual i had on the side of my tower? I had it on for quite a while and then i took it off. I know magnets and electronics don't go to well with eachother, but if this is the case then i definetely wasn't thinking.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 01:37:11 AM »
I wouldn't have thought that a low level magnetic would cause any significant interference - certainly not damage.  Take it off in case.  (Of course you should not have any magnets anywhere near a CRT monitor.)

Diagnostic testing for CPUs is rather complex.  I know that you can obtain commercial products to run tests, but honestly, the easiest test for you is to swap out the processor.  Perhaps you can pick up a cheap replacement on eBay?

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 02:51:58 PM »
What was your installation procedure with regard to OS, service packs and security software?
Obviously, the OS came first but what were your next few moves? If you can remember what you did and the order that you did things, it may prove very useful.

needcrashhelppleas

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
Well, my computer did not come with the Windows XP cd, but rather a bundle that Reformats and Installs Windows XP home and a variety of other software. As far as order on the software, i have no idea. Here are the exact specs from the manufacturer :http://www.fryssupport.net/fm7350.cfm. Maybe this can provide some sort of assistance.

As far as the new processor, I don't know exactly if it Would be worth replacing the processor on my Mobo because in that case I would want to buy a whole new computer. Not because of the cost of the processor, but because I wanted to get a new video card, ram, etc. that is not compaitble with my mother board.

Backdated

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
If you are connecting to the internet with no firewall and before installing SP2, then it's very likely that several infections could be causing this.
Before doing anything else, download SP2, a firewall, an anti virus package and anti spyware tools. Burn all these to CD ready.

Now reinstall from scratch after deleting all partitions (Unless a restore partition is involved), install SP2 and all the other stuff from the CD you've burned. Install your usual programs. Don't connect to the net but test for stability first.