Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: question on reformatting harddisk  (Read 3719 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    question on reformatting harddisk
    « on: March 22, 2006, 05:28:14 PM »
    Hi,

Just want to ask you guys to make sure that i do the right thing here. I have a PC desktop running windows XP Pro, Pentium 4. A long ago, i had problems with this computer being infected by viruses and trojans. I had used the lavasoft adaware to detect the spywares and have them removed, run the antivirus Norton, run disk cleanup, and run both lavasoft and Norton in the safemode. Yet despite those efforts, the windows still detected spywares on my computer saying that some of my files document have been accessed (those warning from windows firewall as well as antivirus). They came up very often. they even showed up as soon as you turned on your computer and had the windows loaded up. i could go to IE but the IE was redirected to a specific website i.e. some ads of antispywares products despite the default settings i set to go to a specific website when the IE was clicked.

Anyway, those were the problems i had until i went to get a new hard disk that got all those annoying things off my back. Now that hard disk(or the old one that's got viruses and trojans) is still here with me. What i'd like to do is to have it reformatted. My question is i heard that you can hook it up to the computer as a slave and then reformat it from there.

My question is will the viruses and other trojan invade into my new harddisk if i hooked it up to my new hard disk? what are the things i should watch out for for doing this. They both are seagate but the new one is IDE, not sure about the old one.

Anyway, your help is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

GX1_Man

Re: question on reformatting harddisk
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »
    No problem I see if you remove the partition, re-make a partition and format it.  ;)

Backdated

Re: question on reformatting harddisk
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »
    Buying another hard drive to cure a few infections is a little extreme to say the least! ;)

I would not place the two drives in the system together for now for fear of cross contamination. We don't know what nasties the original drive is harbouring so hook it up as a single master and use a floppy or bootable CD to destroy everything on it.
    Delete all partitions and start from scratch. Once clean, you can slave it to your new drive.