Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why should I use Linux?  (Read 22065 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Why should I use Linux?
    « on: March 31, 2006, 11:57:48 AM »
    OK, guys, I'm thinking about partitioning my hard drive and installing Linux as a second Operating System. I currently have Windows XP on a hard drive with more than enough room for both OS's (how does about 90 GB for each sound?), and I know I have to have it on a seperate partition. So! Here's the thing: I don't have a functioning partition program, and it's $70 where I live to get Partition Magic. Before I go out and spend that kind of money, I want to be absolutely sure that what I'm getting is going to be necessary for my computer. I'm asking for unbiased facts, here:

• How is Linux better than Windows?
    • How is it worse? (I know no software is perfect)
    • Anything I should know about both Operating Systems

I'm trying to decide whether Linux is right for me or not. Help me out, here. :)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Why should I use Linux?
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
    Oh my goodness, where to start...

One of the greatest beauties of Linux is that you can build a stripped-down version, and for certain dedicated tasks, it will completely whup the *censored* of any Windows flavour you mention, for speed, security and stability.  The other significant pull is the huge variety of software, including high-grade server spec stuff that is available for free.  I installed a system for a friend the other day, based on Ubuntu, and when I was done, it had something like 12,000 different software packages installed.  All completely free.

(Incidentally, if you decide to go for Ubuntu, I recommend choosing the KDE version, Kubuntu.  You will prefer KDE to Gnome, I'm almost certain.)

Disadvantages of Linux:

A lot of stuff is done on the command line.  Configuration can often involve editing plain text files.  There's an awful lot to learn, and you will miss the Windows GUI-for-everything way.

Support for drivers is often more limited in Linux than in Windows.

The various components that make up a typical Linux desktop are not integrated in quite the same way as Windows.  With Windows, you have only one windowing system.  With Linux you have many different possible systems.  Different programs may be made for different systems, resulting in things not coming together completely seamlessly.  For example, the clipboard facility is in many ways not up to the Windows standard.

Microsoft Office (etc) cannot be expected to run on Linux.  Hence there is a lot to learn in terms of new software.  For everything.

The Open Source model means that rogue hackers can read crucial system code in an effort to find vulnerabilities to exploit.

Advantages:

Speed.  You can configure Linux for speed, much more easily than Windows.  If you have an old laptop you want to use, which is not up to running XP, put Linux on it.  Sorted.

Security.  There are VERY few Linux viruses out there in the wild.  Not for the want of trying, on the part of virus writers.  Linux generally has a more secure permissions system which makes it hard for viruses to propagate.

Flexibility.  You can use the same base Ubuntu system as a power desktop, a gaming platform, an office workhorse, a file & print server and/or a web/database server.  There are usually no licensing restrictions, so you can throw as many users at the system as the system can handle.

Cost.  You can download hundreds of different Linux distributions for free.  You can download hundreds of thousands of GOOD Linux applications for free.

Variety.  Your choice is not simply XP, Windows 2003 Server or Windows 2003 Small Business Server.  See any Linux distribution website, and you will understand what I mean.

The Open Source model.  A benefit in itself; there are hundreds of thousands of people around the globe, working endlessly on Linux.  Security holes are patched almost immediately, and typically turned around to end users in a fraction of the time it takes Microsoft.  Also, "open source" means that everyone can view the code, and it is harder for bugs and undesireable design "features" to go unnoticed and undocumented.

I'll leave it there for now.  Fairly sure GX1_Man will have PLENTY to add.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
    PS  I usually leave my Linux systems up and running for six months at a time; they can be upgraded WHILE IN USE.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:57:50 PM »
      I guess that all makes a great deal of sense. If Office doesn't work in Linux, though, I'll still have a partition with XP on it, so no loss. My big question is gaming. I have a lot of games, and none of them are built for Linux. Do they run on Linux? I remember trying to install a Linux game on XP once and it didn't work. How is it the other way around?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
      You need to think really: run Linux programs on Linux.  Run Windows programs on Windows.  Yes, there are compatibility layers, and emulators and stuff that can be used to help Windows programs run on Linux - with some amazing successes, but the result will generally be unsatisfactory.  The operating systems are completely different.  Windows programs don't run on Macs either.

Some programs however have been compiled and built to run on different systems.  So OpenOffice is available on Macs, Windows and Linux (and more), and looks very similar on all platforms.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 03:27:09 PM »
        /me smacks self on forehead

OK, you got me. As soon as I get my drive partitioned I'll get Linux. :)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:08:46 PM »
          OK, I have a freshly partitioned drive, ready to go! I think... I used PartitionMagic 8.0 to set aside a 90 GB drive out of my 200 GB drive. All I need is to install Linux on it, right?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:11:47 PM »
            I've begun the long download of Kubuntu. I have no idea how this will work, but I will install it on D: which is my blank (almost; PM put RECYCLER on there) 90 GB partition. The download is 640.5 MB - longest download I've seen ever. d/ling at appx. 125 KB/s... I'm writing this because I'm bored out of my skull...

OK, you say it'll whip any flavo(u)r of Windows. What about XP SP2? How is it compared to that OS? As far as I've seen, it's pretty stable, but I know the security of XP SP2 alone... stinks. And speed, well, no comment. My PC is so different from the other computers I've used with ME and 9x that there is no coparison, let alone OS speed difference. But how does Linux do vs. SP2?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 07:16:01 PM »
            I think Rob covered most everything. The thing you may want to do first Dilbert is to make a few Linux Live CD's to see what they actually look like and how they function BEFORE even installing. They don't write anything to the hard drive. In fact you don't even need a hard drive in the machine to use it! Just remember it is running from the CD so it will be slower than when installed.

Why don't you post some system specs for some even better advice. All of the "cutting edge" stuff favors Windows, due to the monopoly.

Some people get put off that Linux takes longer to boot up. But if your machine stays up for months, that's not really much of an issue.

There is SO much variety in linux distributions, you are sure to find one that appeals to you. Xandros (not free but less than Microsoft O/S)even allows you to resize an existing Windows partition to make room to install AND it evens includes a program called Crossover Office that will run Microsoft Office and others without Windows even being on the machine! Most distributions come with OpenOffice so you can create compatible files anyway.

So post away with your specs!

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »
              All right!

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ ~2.2GHz
              Hard Drive: 200 GB (Partitioned) 99.9 GB | 90 GB
              CD-ROM: CD-DVD R/RW
              Floppy: None

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
              Graphics card?

Sound card?

Printer?

Are you on dialup of broadband?

If you want the most Windows Like Linux, try Linspire Live CD, since you are  noob in this area. It is available as a torrent download.

Kubuntu is good and they have a good forum as well. Just don't expect Windows. It's Linux. Load it, expore it and enjoy.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

Help me install Kubuntu
                « Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 09:06:11 PM »
                Oh, sorry.

nVidia GeForce 6600
                Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 7.1 surround
                No printer
                DSL WiFi connection

OK. I've extracted the Setup. I'm going in! (Insert dramatic music here)

/me sets topic: Kubuntu installation

[edit]Uh... no .exe files... how do I do this? Guys, I have no idea what to do from here. There's a bunch of files, but none of them are EXE files. How do I install Linux on my empty D: drive?[/edit]
                « Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:31:53 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 06:09:20 AM »
                You download the  ISO file, then use Nero or some similarr program to burn the ISO to a CD (not just copying the file). Then you reboot with that CD in the drive. Off you go.
                « Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:09:52 AM by GX1_Man »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 08:54:55 AM »
                  I've downloaded ISO Recorder but whenever I run the file it does nothing. I'm still looking for another one. :)

[edit]Wait. I have Nero??? Cool![/edit]

[edit]OK, guys, I'm having a problem. I tried to burn the .iso and NeroVision Express Version 2 told me that I couldn't write to that type of disc. Thinking it was because I was using a CD-RW, I put in a CD-R. Same error. What's up?[/edit]

[edit]OK, I'm trying to make a copy of the .iso using Nero to create a Nero Image file. Maybe after I do that it'll work OK.[/edit]

[edit]It seems to be working...[/edit]

[edit]OK, the disc is written! Reboot time![/edit]

[edit]When I get to the spot where is says type 'server' for base or hit enter for full, my keyboard locks up and does nothing. I've tried USB and the serial keyboard. What's wrong?[/edit]
                  « Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:38:42 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
                  You could have a bad download or a bad burn. Always use a CDR, never a CDRW and burn at a lower speed - 24x is what I use for an O/S.

Did you you check your download against the MD5 checksum? What site did you use?

Nere does two kinds of ISO. See if there is one listed below the entry for the Nero ISO  one.

When the install starts with the finished cD, enter is all you should have to press.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:56:36 AM by GX1_Man »