Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 reinstall  (Read 4187 times)

mikesomeone

Windows 98 reinstall
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:28:05 PM »
I'm running windows 98 on a Compaq Presario 5151.  Here's what I think happened:  I was getting "invalid page defaults in kernal 32" error messages so I downloaded some virus scan and scanned.  It quarantined some stuff and after the quarantine all I get is this:

Error loading Explorer.exe
Must reinstall Windows

I have a CD with windows 95 bootdisk(or whatever it is called) but no luck getting things up and running.  I feel pretty stupid and just may be, but could use the help.  

Thanks,
MIKE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:03:49 PM by mikesomeone »

pcdoc4christ

Re: Windows 98 reinstall
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »
Someone:

The Windows 95 boot disk uses a different version of DOS than Windows 98.  Try using a Windows 98 boot disk from here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

If you have the Windows 98 CD, you should be able to start the computer with it and reinstall Windows.  Do you have the CD and the product key?

Doc

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »
If you're OK with FDisk, you can use DelPart to obliterate the partition and start from scratch. I have a bootdisk available that contains real mode mouse and CD drivers plus DelPart and other tools if you want to use it.

Otherwise, boot from the Win98 bootdisk to the A:/> prompt and type the following:
format c: /q /u <enter>
x: <enter>
setup /ie /im /is /nr <enter>
Where x: is your CD ROM drive letter. Don't forget that the Win98 bootdisk installs a RAM drive at the first available slot so your CD ROMs usual drive letter will be pushed back. In other words, if it's normally at D:, it will now be at E:.

As always, choose a custom installation and install only what you want.

mikesomeone

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »
pcdoc:  that was a typo  I have a CD that has Windows 98(not 95) stuff on it.  It actually didn't come with this computer but was borrowed from a friend.  I think it is called the bootdisk, but it is on a CD.  I can get to the part where it asks to me "start with CD-Rom Support" but after that it gets fuzzy.  Logically I'm thinking it should "pull" what it needs from that disk and keep going but no, it doesn't.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »
Boot with that CDROM then and type in the format command as above.

Then reinstall your Windows CD and type setup. That should get you off and going.  ;)