Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformat / re install win98se  (Read 4225 times)

needafix

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Reformat / re install win98se
    « on: April 04, 2006, 04:29:53 AM »
    Doe anyone have simple instructions for reformatting my hard drive and then re installing w98se, would like to have them just in case. I seem to recall something about if you use a floppy boot up you have to rename the cd rom drive two times at different c promts in order to have the pc read the cd drive, i must have those directions also. Would changing the boot order make so i could re install from the cd and not need a floppy? Lastly how do i know when to re install my main board, do i get a promy during this process of wait till after w98se gets re installed ? thanks a bunch . . .

GX1_Man

Re: Reformat / re install win98se
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:34:06 AM »
    Google turned this up:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221829/

Some WIndows CD's are bootable, others not. You can get a bootdisk at www.bootdisk.com if needed.

What kind of problems are you having that makes you consider a mainboard replacement?

needafix

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      Re: Reformat / re install win98se
      « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:52:38 AM »
      no problems was just wondering when i get asked to use the motherboard cd, i assume w98se cd will ask me.    Also is there some free website where i get a bootable w98se cd, i had a great deal of trouble using a floppy boot last time, these s no d drive so i had to type in some weird instructions at the promts to get the pc to read my drives differently usually my d drive is dvd rom and e is the cd burner but seeing how there no real d rive i had to type in some weird specials instructions at the promts to get setup to read the e drive as g drive and therefore read my w98 cd.     Or i could always change the boot order and not need a floppy at all,  i seem to re call that worked floppy free a couple of years earlyier yrs earlyier on another  pc  -  bye for now