Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vitual  Memory  Error  (Read 4416 times)

needafix

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Vitual  Memory  Error
    « on: April 04, 2006, 04:34:11 AM »
    Ok here goes, i like to play online games at hoyle.com and out of the blue i started freezing up in lobby chat all the time for 2/3 minutes then it unfreezes for several minutes and then freezes up again and this never stops, i can t type chat or scroll in lobby chat. So i get help holp and they say to manually reset v m to min - 1500mb and max 3500 mb and that solve fix my freeze ups. I tryed that got a pop up alert warning asking do i wish to continue cause i may not be able to re start my pc, yikes so i backed off of course, no changes.
    My vitual men is now set at -

HD C:\ - 29663
    Min 0
    Max - no max

The top line is unchangeable , i can t get a blinking cusor in the window for some reason , the last two are adjustable. So whats this all about and can i safely make changes with out chashing my pc and to what numbers and how ? Any ideas - fixs - this annoying problem must go - thanks so much . . i am using w98se - 40gigs, 256 ram and 1800 mzh if that helps - thanks . . .

LegoLas

Beginner

Re: Vitual  Memory  Error
      « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:16:40 AM »
      Try to cange Virtual Memory settings:

1. Open the Control Panel
         2. Double-click the System icon
         3. Click performance tab
         4. Click the change button in the virtual memory section

The default under Windows NT is RAM + 12MB, under Windows 2000 and XP that was change to of (RAM * 1.5) and a max of (RAM * 3).

For an explanation of Windows NT memory management, please see:
      The Virtual Memory Manager on Microsoft TechNet

For information about defragmenting virutal memory, please see:
      ;kberror&style=error]Damaged Paging File Results in Stop Error Message
      « Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:21:27 AM by LegoLas »